I have an older range hood with a light in it. I tend to use it more for
light than I do my finicky fluorescent ceiling light. I've been using
incandescents, but since I often leave the hood light on over night,
they have a limited lifespan. So I'm wondering if it's OK to use a CFL
over the stove? Is the horizontal position a problem? (Asking because I
know I've seen discussion about upside down fixtures).
I do very little stove top cooking (I'm a microwave kinda person), so
I'm not as concerned about the heat, but I'm wondering about that too.
Someone at Home Depot said it would be bad for the electronics inside,
but I figured I trust the collective minds here more, LOL. If it makes a
difference, it has one of those little plastic snap on covers that
squeezes into place.
I would never use any type of fluorescent light right next to an area
where food is being prepared simply due to the fact that they contain
mercury. The chance of one breaking is probably not that great...but
personally , I'd just never do it.
The guy at HD was very possibly right too, they'd probably be
negatively affected by heat.
??? You mean to say that if an incandescent bulb broke you'd sweep up
the pieces (or pick them out of the soup as the case may be) and go on
If the bulb breaks, it breaks and everything in the area goes in the
trash and it's a do over. Period.
I really think that in this context the only issues to concern yourself
with are bulb longevity due to positioning and, possibly, heat - but the
latter apparently is NOT a concern of the OP
On 12/14/2013 09:15 AM, Unquestionably Confused wrote:
No. a fluorescent would spew mercury contamination everywhere.
An incandescent...just broken glass.
Yes, you'd have to throw out any food in the area but with the
fluorescent there would still be traces of mercury left behind.
guess I'm going to die then because my brother and I had a
bottle of mercury that we would pour out on the table and
play with when we were kids.
Rolling from here to there and making little blobs out of
big ones and then back to big ones.
Someone please come save me!!!!!!
yep, me and my friends all played with mercury when we were kids
and probably within the next 40 years we'll all be dead.
Also: we put our feet in those 'shoe' xray machines
Kids today are so much deprived of real fun
On 12/14/2013 1:26 PM, firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
I recall reading about a young woman scientist working The EPA who told
her superiors that there was only one form of asbestos that was a health
hazard. Her superiors told her to shut up because the people who were
forced by the government to spend billions to remove or replace asbestos
in their products would show up at the door with pitchforks and torches.
That doesn't make a lot of sense.
"Six minerals types are defined by the United States Environmental
Protection Agency as "asbestos" including those belonging to the
serpentine class and those belonging to the amphibole class. All six
asbestos mineral types are known to be human carcinogens."
I have heard that because it's a naturally occurring mineral there is no
way to escape exposure in certain areas unless you wear a respirator 24/7.
The story could have been or was apocryphal but it had information about
different forms of asbestos where one was rod shaped and another was
shaped like a pigtail or curlicue. The story went on the say that
only one of the types was dangerous. It's been a long time since I read
the story but I suppose I could search the web for it or something like
I read part of the article in your first link and it is interesting. I
don't see how it makes disturbing asbestos "safe" which I believe is the
main concern with it. As far as imbedded asbestos, in say a piece of
siding or insulation, it's probably just as dangerous as naturally
occurring asbestos. Maybe more so.
Everything in our environment is dangerous in some way or other, I
simply use common sense. If I ever do anything that would produce a
cloud of dust, I wear a respirator of some kind. Back in the late 1970's
there was a large forest fire in the next county and the smoke was
blowing our way. My nose actually started bleeding but I'm quite
allergic to things like that especially tobacco smoke. I think the
danger of asbestos in things like shingles or brake shoes is from any
dust produced by such products when they're broken up, sawed or ground
into dust in some way. If you're familiar beryllium and how dangerous it
can be, you will notice that no one pays much attention to it because
of all the howling about asbestos. Ignorance of beryllium is rife in our
society even though it's all around us in electrical and electronic
equipment. If you work with electronics you must be careful with any
parts made of beryllium because you don't want cut, file or saw the
metal because could produce dust or particles that may get into your
lungs. Anyway, if people knew of all the things in our environment that
are toxic enough to make you ill or kill you, they may stay in bed and
pull the covers over their heads, which could be dangerous in some way
If you aren't mining the stuff or tearing down a giant room that was
insulated with it, it's really not worth worrying about. Even the EPA
doesn't care how you handle it when you are dealing with less than
something like 20 square feet of "demolition".
On Sunday, December 15, 2013 3:09:18 AM UTC-5, The Daring Dufas wrote:
Voer 3 dedades ago I went to a lecture at college given by David Baltimore,
who won the nobel prize for his work on cancer research. At the time, he
told us that he was not optimistic that a cure for cancer would be found
within our lifetimes. One interesting fact I still remember was him
describing how you could take pieces of glass and insert them in lab rats
and at the same time, insert ground up glass in other rats. One group
of rats developed cancer, the other did not.
So, I would not be surprised at all that some forms of asbestos are
more dangerous than others. Anyone that thinks there is great danger because there is siding on a house which contains asbestos, is IMO, nuts. The
health dangers from asbestos were first found in ship workers and other who
were breathing it in during WWII in environments where it was so dense in
the air you couldn't see. From that, it's gone to an ambulance chasing
bunch of lawyers, who try to claim that if you're sick, it must be from
just looking at asbestos for two months when you had some particular job.
On 12/15/2013 9:33 AM, email@example.com wrote:
Sure, leave it alone and there is no problem. True with a lot of things.
Wild animals, rip tides, cliffs, etc....
The problem is when you have it in your house, school, workplace etc.....
"When materials in your home become damaged or disturbed, microscopic
asbestos fibers can become airborne. When this happens, health-risks
become a factor as inhalation of these fibers can cause them to be
trapped in the lungs, to accumulate, and cause scarring and
We could outlaw cfls for the same reason 25 years from now. Maybe not
because the exposure is so minimal.
On Sunday, December 15, 2013 11:14:55 AM UTC-5, gonjah wrote:
No, it's genearlly not a problem when you have it in your house unless you're
dumb enough to do something stupid with it. If it's in you siding, how
exactly is that going to kill you? If you take a grinder to it and breathe
it in extensively, well then maybe you have a problem. If it's in your floor
tile and you're dumb enough to take a grinder or sander to that, then you
increase you're risk. Even the guys who worked in environments with it so
thick in the air you couldn't see, only have a few percent risk of getting
cancer from it.
This is gross extrapolation from workers that were exposed constantly
to huge amounts of it based mostly on scare tactics.
The exposure to asbestos in a home in most cases is minimal too,
unless you do something stupid, like grind up floor tile or siding that
has some in it and breath in as much as you can. Kind of like sticking
your wang in a 240V outlet. Maybe we should get rid of those too.
On 12/16/2013 12:35 AM, firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
I dropped a CFL at my parents house, a couple
weeks ago. Mom got the vacuum cleaner. I was
going to suggest wisk and dust pan, but she was
insistent. I commented to Dad, with all that
air flow through the vac bag, any mercury would
be in the atmosphere. I also remembered commenting
we'd all be mad hatters, and we were all about
to die. Maybe that's it? Dad died a day or two
after Mom vacuumed up a broken CFL.
As a kid, I used to throw broken asbestos siding into a trash fire
barrel, and after a minute or two they would blow apart with a bang.
In the Navy in the late 1950s, I used to work on ducts that were
insulated with asbestos without any protective clothing, pulling off the
asbestos to make additions to the ducts.
I also wore an asbestos fire suit and hood during helicopter landing
operations. It was itchy during and after wearing it. I was supposed to
run into the fire to rescue occupants of the helo in case of a crash.
Oh, and like I said before, I'm 76 years old.
You're too ornery to die. I was sent home from the hospital to die and
put in home hospice care then dropped after 6 months because I wasn't
dying fast enough. I wasn't declining and my visiting nurse would get
mad at me for going out and pushing myself to work as hard as I could.
Folks die when they give up and don't fight it. You could be one of the
growing number of Americans reaching 100 years of age. Of course, with
this Obamacare nonsense it won't be allowed. o_O
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.