OT: Democracy in Action

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I'm agreeing with most of what I didn't quote.

You may be thinking 80K is a lot around here, but it isn't. I am happy to help with extras That they couldn't afford for the kids if I didn't help. Going into more details would be too personal, sorry.

You know better than that. I'm in favor of helping everyone attain their best. How is the problem/question. And in the spirit of American competitiveness that I thought you would appreciate, I wrote the above "Maybe " etc

Reply to
Han

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That is too absolute a statement for me to subscribe to. But I must admit that I haven't exhaustively studied the pros and cons. You appear to have more knowledge. Can you share?

Reply to
Han

Don't want personal information, but if they can't live on that, move. It really is that simple. I've done it, a few times.

That *is* what you're advocating.

Let schools compete for their "customers". Attach the government tuition check the check to the children. Stand back because things will change, fast!

Reply to
krw

Wrong. You seem to have a good reason to have tenure. You prove the positive. I'm not going to waste time trying to prove a negative. We already see what happens with tenure.

Reply to
krw

I taught high school chemistry and physics for two semesters and I can say with truth that dozens of teachers are underpaid. Tens of thousands more are grossly overpaid.

Reply to
HeyBub

My wife and I had our first and only child after being married 6 years. She was always ready, I was not, but it was meant to happen. almost 24 years ago our son was born. We did the personal baby sitter/nanny thing and that led to day care, private school/day care, and then one day when our son, Bryan, was 7 and in a private school I had had enough of my job, I hated it. I have always been in automotive management, I had my own tire store at 21. The last formal job I had I was the GM of a wholesale AC/Delco distributor. Finally I said I had had enough and turned in my resignation, I was asked to take a 2 week vacation and reconsider, I came back an quit.

I became the at home parent and began this custom design and furniture building business at home to keep me busy. Not going to a job every day went against every survival instinct that I had. We probably took a 60% income cut when I quit working the 9 to 5 routine. My son immediately started going to public schools when he started third grade. He had a great teacher that helped him transition from an 8 student classroom to a 35 student class room. Bryan did well in school, strictly an A,B student, certainly better than his parents ever did in school but my wife and I had to battle with the incompetent teachers that would take home work and immediately throw it in the trash can because some one was out of line. We saw this type teacher behavior time and again and had one on ones with the principal and teacher way too often. All of the students were treated this way but we seemed to be the only parents that cared. I was the first to tell the teacher that I wanted to hear of any problems that my son might be causing, that never happened. Teachers would seek us out at PTA meetings to compliment us on how well behaved Bryan was. I don't think so much that we did any thing special other than one of us was at home every day when Bryan came home from school. Other kids did not have that benefit.

Bryan flourished. He was invited to attend a special high school in a poor school district. We thank God for that school and the opportunities Bryan had at that school. Unlike the typical baby sitter school this school was by invitation only. This school operated much like a college and many of the students had a hard time coping with the first few weeks of school. Each class passed out the semester itinerary and it was totally up to the student to perform all the work, attend the seminars, and schedule their own tests. The school taught time management and responsibility. College bound graduates consistently averaged above 97%. This school was not looking for smart kids, as the only requirement to attend was that applicants conduct grade be satisfactory or better. On the other hand, the teachers had to have much better qualifications to teach at that school. There was never a shortage of teachers waiting in the wings to fill a position should one come up.

College was an easy transition for Bryan, because of his SAT scores, so so in the grammar/English section, pretty high in the math section, he was invited to apply to the Honors College at the U of H. He, shall we say, was lucky to be accepted. I warned him that the curriculum would be more rigorous but the benefits would be long lasting. He made his first C his first semester. That never happened again. Three of his professors tried to get him to change his major including a strong offer to go towards working on his doctorate and teaching at the college. Another wanted him to change to investment management, and another wanted him to work towards a federal tax degree. He stayed the course and ended up graduating with a bachelors in Accountancy, Summa Cum Laude. One year later he had his Masters degree, 4 months later he had filled all requirements to become a CPA except the for the required year of work experience. He passed all 4 CPA exams with a 94 average, first try.

Today, 10 months later he has almost gotten his year behind him and he works for KPMG. They recruited him in January of 2009 and he went to work "very full time" last October. He loves his job although he does have long hours during the busy season, Jan -April. He logs approximately 300 -350 hours per month during that period. Not unusual for him to work 7 days a week, get home at 1:00-2:00 am and be back at work at 7:00am.

I attribute a lot of his of his success to good work ethic and some one being at home when he got home from school.

Bryan is still single, is a home owner and hopes to be "totally" debt free by the end of next year. Not too bad for a 23 year old guy.

OK,OK,OK, I'll stop bragging! I've had TWO beers. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Did he build any of the furniture in his house?

Reply to
Bill

They have a good union to assure that won't change too!

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Actually he assisted me in building his night stand and dresser many years ago.

Reply to
Leon

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Don't want to move from this idyllic place, a National Historical Landmark

Sorry, meant as a hypothetical possibility - "Maybe"

No government tuition checks, please. Why impose another bureaucracy on what already has plenty of paperpushers? Believe me, from my experiences with granting agencies, instituting a simple paper check give-away will lead to a need for 2-20 paper handlers per school, on top of the paperhandlers at the "government" and not to speak of the possibilities for gray or black markets.

Reply to
Han

Leon wrote in news:6aadnZ_dE snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Great story. We need to clone you, your wife and Bryan many times .

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Reply to
Han

The beers were 8.7% alcohol. ;~) My son turned me on to "stouts"

Thank you Han, but I think there was a mix up at the hospital 23 years ago. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Leon wrote in news:uuudnUpbI snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Someone asked why my son had red hair, just like the todller of the other couple in the 2-family home. I said, milkman.

Reply to
Han

"Parental involvement" ... hardly any kid succeeds without it today.

We personally met everyone of my kid's teachers from K-12; had weekly, if not daily, note/email correspondence with them; confirmed every parent/teach appt and ARD meeting (and, when it appeared necessary, in writing, with a letter indicating we may be represented by legal counsel .. it was indeed necessary on occasions and it insured they would pay attention, and by gawd they did!); and Mom was seen several time a week, walking the halls and visiting with the teachers.

The rationale was that they were educating our kid, we were paying for the education, and we believed in letting them know, in no uncertain terms, that we, as involved parents, demanded stellar performance out of both the kid, _and the teacher_.

Although my youngest was "main stream", she was a special education kid, with an above average IQ, who, simply due to a severe learning disability, required alternative methods to gauge the depth of what she actually learned from her school work. It was amazing how many teachers balked at the (legal) requirement for them to do so.

It is certain that without the actions in the first paragraph above, this kid would not have ever gone on to college (as she did), and would have fallen through the ever widening cracks in the educational system.

In short, the educational system in this country was originally instituted to provide an education ... it has now been subverted, mostly by progressive machinations (union, etc.), to be _primarily_ concerned with its own perpetuation in current form.

You can proffer opinions to the contrary until you're blue in the face, my friends ... but you can NOT overcome the ACTUAL fact of the deplorable state of the educational system in this country today!

Again: "Parental involvement" ... hardly any kid succeeds without it today.

About that "arranged marriage" seminar that is upcoming ... :~)

You're authorized, Bubba.

Reply to
Swingman

Hey, I don't two beers to brag. I'm proud of my 3 girls. 2 of them are playing with nuclear generators and the youngest off to college next Sept. She just aced her grade 11 final in math.... MUCH to our surprise. Angela just finished her Masters so the academic atmosphere has proven fertile grounds for the youngest to give it an extra push. Monkey see monkey do.

Reply to
Robatoy

Swingman wrote in news:LMSdnWo2AuO5tNjTnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Hey guys, just confirming that all of you are very correct and right!! Parental involvement is key. As grandparents, we try to keeep that up, but we know we are slowing down ... Any and all accomplishments in this family are almost solely attributable to my wife. Credit goes were credit is due.

Reply to
Han

"If an unfriendly foreign power had attempted to impose on America the mediocre educational performance that exists today, we might well have viewed it as an act of war." -- A Nation at Risk (April 1983)

it has only gotten worse since then.

Reply to
Doug Miller

snip

I can not think of a better way to produce good grand kids. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Excellent examples the two of you have set! Girls are easy, right; ;~0

Reply to
Leon

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Watch out Bryan, and ???