Changing Sand in Your Sand Pool Filter

This is a step by step tutorial on the easy way to change the sand in your filter.

  1. Detach all hoses and place them back into the pool so you do not lose any pool water
  2. Remove drain plug and the bottom of the filter to remove water
  3. Remove clamp holding the multiport valve on your filter
  4. Using your Shop Vac (without the shop vac filter) suck all the sand from out of the filter
  5. Take Duct Tape and cover the opening of the standpipe coming up from in the filter
  6. Put the drain cap back on and Fill the tank half full of water before adding sand
  7. Once the tank is half full of water add the correct amount of sand to your filter.
  8. Remove the duct tape once this is completed and connect the multiport valves and hoses.

Thats It! You Should never have to move the filter and hurt yourself. Also that pipe and extends into the filter has very fragile plastic laterals on the end so by moving it in the sand it could crack every one. So most importantly try to to move any thing.

For More Info Visit

Your Local Pool Guy

I let the filter dry out over the winter with the valve body off. Then in the spring I pick the filter up and pour the sand out. It is pretty heavy.

Maybe I should get myself a shop vac. Thanks.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Or borrow one from a neighbor and save yourself $100 bucks.

Reply to
Your Local Pool Guy

What about the 200 pounds of wet sand that are now in your shop vac? Don't you have to move that now? easier to just dump the filter on the ground and kick the sand around till it's gone.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

Most Shop vacs have wheels which will be easier to cart around. I mentioned before that it is not wise to move the filter. If the laterals get shifted under the weight of all that sand you risk cracking them. This has happened before. Just a tip.

Reply to
Your Local Pool Guy

WHY? Sand don't get old no need to change it! Hoses?

Reply to
River

You should replace the sand in your sand filter every 3-5 years. The grits of sand become more rounded off with the flow of water through them causing them not to catch any more small debris.

Hoses should only be changed when they break or about to break. No need spending money replacing hoses all of the time

Your Local Pool Guy

dcgatehouse had written this in response to

: have a triton 40 sand filter. how much sand & type ? thanks

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 313728 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
dcgatehouse