Sand Filter (Pool)

  1. Where there is any risk of freezing, remove the drain plug from the bottom of the filter to empty it (and leave it off all winter.) The position of the control handle is irrelevant.
  2. Yes, pressure gauges last longer if removed in winter.
Reply to
Don Phillipson

I have a hayward sand filter. The instructions say to put the handle half way between filter and waste for winter. Remove the guage and put it where it won't freeze.

Reply to
No Spam

I hope someone here can help me. When "winterizing" a sand filter, should the handle be left in the "backwash" or "winterize" position? I would have thought "winterize" was the obvious answer but my pool guy left it on backwash. Also, should the pressure guage be taken off? Thanks in advance!

Reply to
PJ

============ I place the handle between the indents for filter/wash.rinse/ etc,....always open the bottom drain and store the "cap" with the pressure guage in the garage over the winter...

BUT Guages are cheap ..so I .never worried about trying to protect one...

Bob G..

Reply to
Bob G.

===> Personal experience and opinion here, but the drain plug should be left in, but loose so it won't stop any condensate etc. from dripping out. Leaving it out invites critters and insects to make nests inside, even bees & wasps

: 2. Yes, pressure gauges last longer if removed : in winter.

===> Definitely. There is almost always SOME water left in them as they sit installed. The diaphragms aren't very tough. : : -- : Don Phillipson : Carlsbad Springs : (Ottawa, Canada) : :

Reply to
Pop

The above and draining the filter (loose plug)

Reply to
tnom