sand filter pressure

Hello: My pool water is really alkaline and I haven't been dilgent at maintaining pH in the correct range. Suction was good enough to run my baracuda pool cleaner. I swapped sand after only a year because the pressure during backwash refused to drop adequately. Now bacwash pressure is good and suction sucks! I think the inlet grids on the filter are clogged from general debris and alkaline deposits. Do any of you folks know a good method for acid washing the suction side of the sand filter? The pipe run from the skimmer to the filter is about

50'. Your suggestions are most welcome.
Reply to
ChillyWilly

Are you sure your replacement sand was the right mesh size population? If too small, that would clog your grids.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch