Swimming Pool Sand Filter ???

I've got a 10,000 gal. in ground pool in Central TX. Changed the sand last year. Check the PH and chlorine daily. Shock one a week. Get my water tested a few times a year for alkaline and hardness at the pool store. Chemically, I stay within all the normal parameters pretty well.

I don't vacuum often but I do use a Polaris. Since the city cut all the trees back the pool stays fairly large-debris free.

The problem: We've had an above average rainfall and the sand filter hasn't been able to keep up on it's own. I used Clear-Floc last week and cleaned it "sparkling clean", then it rained a couple of days ago and it's cloudy again. I put Clear-Floc in the filter yesterday as an aid and it's building filter pressure now. First I tried letting it settle overnight, w/o floc, and nothing really happened. I've done that in the past, followed with a vacuuming and it worked well, but not this time.

I don't mind using floc but I don't want to use it every time it rains. The water looks, to me, like it has dead algae in it. I can wipe a fine layer of dead algae off of, at least, one side of the pool daily.

Question: Should I use and algaecide to prevent the growth in the first place? The sand filter seems to have trouble filtering, what looks like, to me, to be the dead algae from the water.

Another question: If you suggest algaecide, what brands/types have you used?

Another question: I usually only use the vacuum (not the Polaris) when I use Clear-Floc, but the instructions say to put the multi-valve on "waste". I hate to do that but if it's the only way, it has to be done. Do I have to put the valve on waste every time I vacuum "without floc"? Or do I run the vacuum into the filter and filter out the sediment?

Jim

Reply to
JimT

In news:a7qdnXja7NgnUM_RnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.toastnet, JimT spewed forth:

Go get some stuff called PhosFree and you'll never look back. I've been using it for acouple of years and have not used alum or any other floculant since. I haven't even shocked but a couple of times during the summer. I usually just let mine go green over the winter and with using it over the winter with NO chlorine it stayed clear all winter. It removes phosphates from the water , no phosphates- no algae hth

Reply to
ChairMan

Thanks and I think I will. I've heard someone (you?) refer to it before and I was hoping to get the name. I'll see if I can get it locally.

You don't know anything about the vacuum question do you?

Reply to
JimT

In news:Kt-dnetu3stjcM_RnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.toastnet, JimT spewed forth:

That's the other beauty of using Phos Free, I have a lot less "debris" in the bottom of the pool. I used to just vacuum to waste before I started using PhosFree, but now I just vaccuum, then backwash. BTW I'm also in North Central Tejas

If you can't find it locally try here, I bought a 2 pack for 50+ bucks ( I think) They ship quick and you'll have it in a couple of days

ChairMan

Warehouse Pool Supply has it for $20/2ltr but they said I have to get rid of all the algae first. They want to look at my water again too. I may have to do the full blown floc treatment tonight and tomorrow to get it ready. This rain is really putting a wrench in the works. I'm having a lot of trouble building up pressure in my filter using the floc as a filter aid. I'm wondering if floc doesn't work well as a filter aid in these high temperatures. It's been running almost 24 hours and only gained about 6 lbs.

Thanks for the vacuum info. I hate to dump water if I don't have to.

Reply to
JimT

When you use the "Waste" (or Drain) setting you're essentially bypassing the filter media altogether. The stuff you're vacuuming gets pumped out right away, nothing gets pumped back in the pool.

When you use the "Filter" setting the stuff you're vacuuming gets filtered by the sand and then returns to the pool.

By using the "Waste" setting you're completely eliminating the flocs from the pool water, whereas you may clog the filter if you use the "Filter" setting.

Depending on the type of floc you use, you may need to adjust the pH prior to adding the product. And depending on the type of floc you use, you may also need to readjust the pool chemistry after it's done (and after you're done vacuuming to waste and topping off the water level).

If you have changed the sand yourself make sure you have not broken any parts inside the filter when refilling it (they're called "laterals"), make sure there's enough sand (and not too much) of the correct type, and make sure you have correctly reassembled the filter .

By maintaining enough active chlorine in the pool at all times there is no need for algicides.

Sounds to me like a filter issue, though.

Reply to
bork

Yeah. It says to raise it to 8 when you use the vac method but doesn't say to raise it with the filter aid method. I've used it both ways with better success than I'm having now as a filter aid so you maybe correct but I think it may have something to do with the temp not dropping much at night because that is when the pressure usually builds.

I changed it and I checked the laterals. They are in remarkably good shape. The insides looks almost new and it a 30+ y/o filter. If you put too much sand in it just blows out into the pool. So too much is better than not enough. I filled it where it is supposed to be. I'm wondering about the quality of the sand. I just went with what the store manager gave me. Next time I'm springing for the synthetic stuff.

That's what I thought but the chlorine is over if anything. I also shock weekly. I check it daily and the pool store verifies it. So apparently you can have algae and chlorine together. I've heard others here say the same. I'm real interested in the Phos Free. I like the idea of eliminating algae growth altogether

I tend to agree. that's why I'm going for the synthetic sand next time. It also has to do with the amount of rain. I know some people just dump 1/4 of the pool everytime it rains hard but I think I can do better than that. :-)

Thanks!

Reply to
JimT

In news:FcGdnY017qieZs_RnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.toastnet, JimT spewed forth:

I think they are just trying to sell ya more chemicals. As long as your phoshate levels are high, you'll have algae. I've always used alum as a floc, relatively cheap, but seems to take a couple of weeks to see a difference How cloudy is your pool? I'd go ahead, if its not to cloudy, and start your intial dose of PhosFree. I use a couple capfuls every week to ten days and haven't used ANY alum in 2 years or any other floc. Lowering the phoshate level will not give the algae anything to grow on. make sure to get a phosphate test kit so you can tell what your levels are. They can never be too low I've found the pool people try to make it more difficult than it really is or needs to be. Like I've already said, since using PhosFree, my pool maintance time has been reduced by 50%. Personally, I think using the PhosFree now will help your floc agent work better and IT works faster than flocs. It will lower the levels in a couple of days and you WILL see a difference Good luck

Reply to
ChairMan

That's horseshit. This spring my 20K pool (IN the woods) was full of algae, because I let myself be talked into chlorine-free closing chemicals.

I dumped in a 3L bottle of Phosfree (in the water) and the water was

*sparkling* in 7 days. According to the label you shouldn't do that unless your pool pro tells you to. Well, I just promoted myself.

Using too much floc can backfire and keep particles all partically where they flow right through a sand filter, so stick with those label directions.

Phosphates can come in the rain from agricultural fertilizer use upwind. Pesticides are also loaded with phosphates, and soaps used to be, but I was told by P&G that they have been banned which is why my dishwasher detergent doesn't work for shit anymore.

Oh, and keeping your chemicals balanced does not prevent algae, IME. Keeping the phosphates out does. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

Nah...these guys are completely the opposite. They tell me not to use floc. If they are pushing anything it's shock. I'm sure they tested the phosphates and said I was fine but they don't have to clean my pool. The floc is building pressure so I'll just let it run it's course. It's getting to it's critical mass.

Right now it's real cloudy but I've been scrubbing it to get everything in in this run. Then I'll add the Phos Free. I'll get a test kit too. Thanks again

Reply to
JimT

7 days is way too long for me. I'll have it sparkling tomorrow. I could let it settle and vacuum it in 12 hours. I just don't want to run the waste out of the pool and that's why I'm using the filter. The difference is a matter of letting the garden hose for 30 or 40 min.

It's not really that big of a deal. But thanks for the input anyway. I'll keep it in mind.

Reply to
JimT

In news:C_WdnYO3veg6is7RnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.toastnet, JimT spewed forth:

have patience and good luck

Reply to
ChairMan

note that he said that it was GREEN(full of algae) and it took a week. Yours shouldn't take that long

Reply to
ChairMan

Mines only 10k too. But 7 days?

Reply to