OT - Basic Skills in Today's World

The message from "George E. Cawthon" contains these words:

Feel free to roast mouth sized pieces.

Reply to
Mark Trudgill

The message from pyotr filipivich contains these words:

You need hot water to scrape the hair off the skin. You basically scold a small area of skin at a time and the hair and top layer of skin peels off.

Reply to
Mark Trudgill

Congratulations on your achievement.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff McCann

Far as I know, but I haven't been there in a few years either.

You're correct. I misremembered.

Oh, yeah! :)

Reply to
John Husvar

And the really experienced start the nut, hold the Air ratchet handle and then squeeze.

Reply to
Leon

(snips)

That's possible, and most likely. But...

I can give you another scenario: 5 or 6 120 kt nukes go off in NYC, LA, DC, Chicago, Seattle, etc. (Hezbollah, Al Qaida, etc. have "won".) The investment, banking, and fed gov systems go into paralysis. No banks open, no stock markets, no commodity markets. No way to maintain the electrical grids, because of no way to pay the workers and suppliers. No way to restart the financial markets, because most of the leadership and workers in NYC are dead, and the buildings are in ruins, and the financial infrastructure won't be rebuilt for years, if ever. Then what's left of the fed gov (most of the leadership already being dead) starts distributing the billions (or is it trillions?) of dollars in paper money they have stored up for just such an emergency. Then the worker bees in places like Denver and San Jose figure out that they aren't going to get paid, and if they do get paid, it will be in money that is losing its value faster than a 1923 German Mark. Then you go to your standard rioting, looting, killing, and general collapse of society. Millions of dead bodies start piling up, and the population of the U.S. is rapidly heading towards half or less of what it was a couple of months before. State and local governments start devolving from fed gov control and issue their own currencies, which don't hold their value either. Local warlords start... well, you get the idea.

I'm not suggesting that is likely, or even the most likely result of that nuclear attack scenario. What I am saying is

-- assuming that it can't possibly happen is a mistake. It has recently happened, to lesser extents, in societies which have suffered lesser shocks. A good example is the former USSR, which has gone through a monetary collapse, a severe population decline (the life expectancy is now only about

60), a social collapse, with alcoholism becoming even a bigger problem (contributing to that life expectancy decrease) and with millions of pensioners becoming impoverished as their state pensions' values evaporated along with the value of the ruble. And all they had to shock them was an inefficient social/economic system, a failed war in Afghanistan, and a nuclear power plant disaster. Extrapolate the results from my 5 or 6 nukes scenario, and you easily get to a near-total societal collapse. For fictional depictions, see: The Postman, Road Warrior, etc.

It wouldn't be like the transition from buggy whips to Model Ts. It would be a transition from the complex, highly ordered Information Society to a chaotic world of scarcity, destruction, and death. Another poster summed it up succinctly in another thread -- no cops.

-- Robert Sturgeon Summum ius summa inuria.

Robert Sturgeon

I, too, live and work in SoCal, and you are correct in saying that VocEd is the exception rather than the rule, but I merely wanted to point out that there are some good VocEd programs out there, and some are growing and flourishing. There is such a demand for our Wood classes that sessions of Wood are offered after regular school hours, and the Masonry and Auto classes are filled to capacity with many more wanting the classes than there is room for students.

In response to another gentleman's comments later on, our principal is nearing retirement (as am I), but our three previous principals were also devoted to VocEd. We will have a new superintendent next year, and I hope that this individual has the same commitment as the previous super.

As a side note, the community college near where I live (I don't know much about the CC near to my job) has an excellent Wood program, even periodically offerring a guiter building class.

Glen

Reply to
Glen

And those tire changers who don't realize that my '82 Ford PU has left hand threads on ONE rear wheel :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

My last job was at Microdyne which built telemetry equipment for the aerospace industry. I was hired as a test technician on the module line. I was told I only had six weeks to prove that I could do at least

80% of the average work done by everyone else on the line, and that I would work with another tech as a trainer for the full six weeks. I started on a Wednesday morning. By the Friday afternoon of that week my training was terminated and I was assigned a test stamp. The following Monday afternoon a "Committee" showed up at my bench to "Order" me to slow down, that i was already producing more work than anyone else in the department, and "You will slow down, if you know what was good for you." I smiled and thanked them, then told them that if they didn't want to look bad, they had three choices: 1: Learn to work faster. 2: Learn to work smarter. or 3: Get out of my way because I was hired to do a job, not to win a popularity contest. Then I offered to teach them to be better techs and they laughed at me. One asked "How can you teach us anything?" I shrugged and said, I don't know, but if I can do the job better and faster after just three days, you might be surprised. ;-)

They informed me that I was rude, arrogant, and opinionated. Within a couple weeks they started to ask questions. I answered, and got stupid looks, but they did what I suggested, and they came back with big smiles to tell ne it solved the problem. They didn't know that most of my electronics work had been mission critical jobs, ad you didn't have time to waste, so you studied the manuals and schematics ahead of time so you knew how it worked.

They finally realized I wasn't bragging about my skills, that I had worked very hard to develop them, and that I willing shared them with anyone willing to learn.

I was there a little over four years, and ended up working with almost every part of the company because of my, "It will be done. Done Right. Done on time. Done on budget." attitude. On day my boss commented, "You just won't take NO for an answer." I smiled and said, "You're right, and I won't take YES, if I don't believe them."

Management kept coming around with new "Quality Statements" we were supposed to memorize. I shoved the printout back into the HR manager's hands and told him I wouldn't lower my standards for anyone. He turned red and asked, "Well, What is your standard?" I grinned and told him that "I do the best possible job with the tools and materials available, and strive to do even better." His jaw dropped, and he walked away muttering under his breath. ;-)

I was a volunteer advisor for the electronics program at the Lake County Votech, until they decided to shut the course down and replace it with a computer repair course. The "Instructor" was the school system's IT director, and he was teaching with bad materials from the XT days. No one had made the boards he was teaching about for over 10 years, and he was having to read it from a ratty old library book, because he didn't know what he was doing. All he knew was how to admin a small Novel network.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

We've got a two car garage with two doors, but we never "park" the cars in them.

I or my son will pull a car into one of them to work on it, but as far as regular parking goes, there's so much stuff stacked up against the walls (plus a couple of lally columns down the centerline) that squeezing through a barely openable car door inside the garage is such a PIA that we just park outside.

But we still use a garage door as our usual entry/exit to the house, 'cause it's much closer to where we park than the front door is, and it has "keyless entry" via a push of the garage door opener button inside the car.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

They sure do sound like my idea of hell.

I've always held the opinion that my property rights extend as far as my property line and my neighbors should be free to do anything that's legal they want to their property as long as it doesn't create an imminent danger or an audible, foul odored or a physical intrusion over the property line.

If my next door neighbor decides he wants to paint his house to look like it's covered with tartan plaid with a black and white striped chimney or forgos cuttting his grass for two months, so be it. I can probably screen out the view from my side if I'm so inclined.

In fact, that's just what I did two years ago when my next door neighbor had some major improvements done to his home which left me looking at a pretty ugly looking "rubble wall":

bushes I planted in 2004 have grown so they now just about block out all view of the messy job his contractors did.

To my neighbor's credit, when he saw me schlepping those arborvitae bushes home in the trunk of my car three at a time and planting them over several weekends, he came over and insisted on paying for them. He wouldn't take "no" for an answer so we settled on his writing a comparable sized check to a local charity we support. Everyone won that way.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Talk about ugly on an ape.

Give those arborvitae about 10 years, you will probably wish you had never planted them.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Possible but highly unlikely. In the Pacific NW lots of the electricity is hydroelectric. Other places are coal, or natural gas. What do you see as possibly causing a nation wide power outage?

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

You got that right. I can understand why some people buy into these, and I know people who live in just such communities. They mostly love it because they like everything in its place at all times. Homes they are not. Very sterile atmosphere. But they like the golfing, mah jong marathons, and soy burger cookouts, so, whatever winds yer clock.

I just bought a home with two acres at the end of a road in a very rural Utah town. Nothing but BLM land all around that won't be developed in my lifetime. Or probably in this century. It does have some zoning restrictions, but they mainly apply to building permits, setbacks, and common sense items that affect others. That is why I bought there. The people I know who live in HOAs wouldn't consider living there, but they don't have to.

Whatever winds your clock.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"And all they had to shock them was an inefficient social/economic system, a failed war in Afghanistan, and a nuclear power plant disaster."

Robert, you missed the BIG one.. the Cold War arms race caused them to spend their society into the ground.

Now consider where the United States (Republican) budget deficit stands at this moment and ask yourself how close we are to the same situation.

A heck of a lot closer than we were in 2000.

TMT

Robert Sturge> >

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

BULL. New oil - 12.00 for mid line oil in quarts. Filter - 3-4 bucks. Oil disposal fee? No place selling oil can charge you a fee legally. The law states that ANY business selling new oil MUST accept used oil for recycling, at NO CHARGE. Cost 0.00 Drop off the used oil from the vehicle when you buy the new oil. You can even pour it back into the empty bottles to save on container expense. Benefits to the owner: YOU know the oil was changed, while under there YOU can look over the engine and underside of the vehicle and look for problems or leaks. While under the vehicle YOU can also grease any items that can be greased, this has the side benefit of lowering wear on items that should be lubed but usually are not.

And again you can return the used coolant to any store that does coolant changes for free. And again you can return it when you buy the new coolant.

Not likely. Just a normal plug wrench for any plug on the market today. You may need a torx bit or similar item if you need to remove a coil pack or pull a cover but those are hardly special tools.

Nope because they have the same attitude you have, that it is easier to trade them than to LEARN how to repair them.

Not if you have the foresight to learn all you can.

Reply to
Steve W.

Destruction of power lines. Right now there are disruptions and everything is working. OK. If several producers go out and lines go down you could see a system that is over taxed and totally fail. It happened years ago in New York, a few years ago, or maybe last summer in the Midwest, and it happens in California. There would be no extreme hurry to repair as energy shortages are a palatable excuse to drive up prices. Both the energy companies and oil companies are enjoying this scenario right now.

Gosh, BP is shutting down its Oil pipe line today and already prices for gasoline are going up.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
Modat22

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but Gunner wrote on Mon, 07 Aug 2006 05:46:37 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Works real well when bolting fixtures to vise, tables, etc. Where I work, there seems to be a tendency for people to stick the bolt in the hole, grab the air wrench, and just press the trigger. Which explains why the vise had the first 1/4 inch of threads stripped out. Do you really need 100 ft/pounds of torque to hold a vice jaw in place? And some one needs to stand over the dayshifters and beat them when they tighten the 10-24 screws (to hold a 3/16 plate in place while the peripheral pattern is milled) with the same force they normally used on

1/2-13 bolts used to hold 50 pound blocks to the tombstone! ("I have here in my hand, two ball peen hammers. One is a standard 12 ounce head, the other a 1/2 ounce head. Which would you rather have me use when I play the Anvil Chorus on your knuckles?")

Hey, I still have to make that motion with my hands, unless I've the thing in my hand. We didn't bolt things together, we used nails. Of course, we had to straighten the nails before we started ...

Reply to
phamp

Grid failure, for example. IIRC, the grid can fail in such a way that it takes down equipment. Equipment not readily avaiable.

Take a different situation. Are we prepared for a bird flu epidemic? Say

25% of the population down?
Reply to
Lobby Dosser