Mistakes or sloppy work

"Fatty Liver" is the physiological term. Can happen in non-drinkers, but almost obligatory in alcoholics.

major causes of cardiac death are infarcts, caused by plaques or emboli and arrhythmias, which are electrical.

Reply to
George

From a medical perspective heavy drinking is defined as more than two drinks a day. Consumption at that level for a decade or two will, in most cases, result in some degree of cardiomyopathy.

After arteriosclerosis, the leading cause of cardiomyopathy is alcohol consumption.

Cheers, J

Reply to
Joe Bemier

While true enough, as has been pointed out elsewhere, if there is a history of alcoholism in the past couple or three generations, then, YOU are at risk. In a more GENERAL area, folks fall into two catagories. Some folks HAVE an addictive personality, and some dont. If one has an addictive personality, there is a greater than average chance that getting into alcohol will mean a monkey on the back...and not just a good drink with dinner. here is a link to ONE test online that seems to cover it pretty well.

Don't worry that is is focused towards women. The fact of the matter is that it works for males too.

Very true. We have thousands of years of proving that legislating morality is always going to be a failure. Far better that we who are parents make a point to train the kids that alcohol, in MODERATION, is an ok thing for adults...but excess is bad all around.

Well, that is true enough, although if one is sufficiently depressed, or is sufficiently self-destructive, it is VERY easy for an alcoholic to take that first drink, and, once one is truly caught up in the nightmore, it tends to erode what strength of will that is left and makes it far harder to NOT take that first drink.

Well, actually, there are multiple studies (some by fairly reputable organizations) that show that the moderate use of alcohol can, indeed, have benefits in one's life. For example, I find that there are times when a small (12 oz or smaller) glass of wine before bed will make it much easier for me to get to sleep, and, I sleep sounder and more restfully once I do get to sleep. I also have to say that there are a number of meals where the interesting combination of flavors and the cleaning power of the alcohol adds quite a bit to the enjoyment of the meal. Alcoholic beverages are not the problem. Abuse and overuse of them IS the problem. Drink in moderation, all is fine. Get roaring drunk - That IS a problem. Regards and best wishes for a Merry Christmas Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt