Lowes will begin selling Craftsman products

Back in the '60s the corner garage would not work on your Fiat because they did not have the tools. I cannot imaginr getting your Borgward repaired easily.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Not my experience, nor my classmates. That's why we started calling them "snap-off" tools.

This was way back in the late '60s and early 70s and they were not as good as they would have had you believe.

They sure were PRETTY though!!!! Better chrome than the competition, except possibly SK.

Reply to
clare

Define "corner garage". In the 60s, my brother worked in a local filling station (with a 2-bay working garage) and they specialized in European cars. Metric combo wrenches or British Whitworth spanners were the weapons they wielded. ;)

Imagine passing the first Borgward I'd seen in 30 yrs, then seeing that same car at a CA Borgward Owner's Assoc., meet some 50 miles away! True story.

nb

Reply to
notbob

....or Proto or Bonney-Utica or Williams, etc.

Lotta good tools in the 60's. My 60's Milwaukee 1/2" drill is all metal. I hadda pair o' Wizard-brand channel lock pliers. Cheapo casting, sold by Grand Auto fer $3.95USD, way better than anything by ChannelLock, at four times the price. I can still clamp down on a roach (I live in CO) with my key-chain-sized J.H.Williams adj wrench which I've carried --and used heavily!-- fer 40 yrs. I used my reg S-K sockets on a 3/8" butterfly torque wrench. They never even lost their chrome!

Craftsman? The very first tool line I ever dumped ....in the 60's!

Let's face it, China is now making most of our tools. BUT, they are wise enough to include the universal stamp-of-acceptance, the "lifetime warranty". Craftsman did that for us. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Sounds like he set it up right for the storage.

Reply to
Leon

Understood buy an alternatively problematic situation was when you left a wrench under the hood or misplaced one, you had that long wait again if you wanted to stay with Snap-On. IMHO the Snap-On truck was simply an unscheduled break for the technicians.

Reply to
Leon