Lesser known SSDs

M.2 SSD in this laptop, previously had a 256GB lite-on that got too small, now have a lexar 512GB that is on its last legs (13 months old), so looking for a replacement

must be PCIe/NVMe not SATA must be 2242 size

512GB (or thereabouts) single or double sided PCB will both fit preferably with DRAM cache

Choices in the "barely recognise the name" class seem to be

several others look like either white label or knock-off of the above

or this one which doesn't have RAM

anyone used the lesser brands?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Even if you decide to buy elsewhere, have a look here:

polygonum_on_google

I had a Kingspec 4GB Disk-on-module (DOM) running an HP Microserver fine for quite a few years, if that helps at all (not much, I expect...)

J^n

Reply to
jkn

Thanks, I don't actually need PCIe4 as the slot is just a 2-lane PCIe3, but they don't seem to have any 2242 sized SSDs, just enclosures and adapters that will *take* 2242 size SSDs

Reply to
Andy Burns

Try casting one in concrete. That would be excellent.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Last legs in what sense?

It depends on the application somwhat, but for a general workload better to ignore anything without a decent DRAM cache.

A few - not something I would repeat voluntarily :-)

IME (few hundred SSDs) Kingston have been reliable - low failure rate. HyperX very low failure rate, Samsung zero failure rate so far. AData, and Mushkin unacceptably high failure rates. I also have a Seagate Firecuda - that has also been ok, but its the only one I have used, so can't comment on reliability.

Obviously in an environment with a good backup regime, you might choose to trade off reliability against price/performance.

Reply to
John Rumm

Maybe I am misunderstanding but there appear to be many PCIe3 ones:

polygonum_on_google

But most are twice as long as the item the OP requires.

Reply to
alan_m

Kingspec have been traditionally low-end, aiming at niches like eeePCs that take peculiar types of SSD.

Sabrent have top-of-the-line SSDs able to compete with the likes of Samsung.

I've used a number of Sabrents in laptops and servers and been pretty impressed. I haven't used Kingspec.

I would imagine both are fine. I'm less thrilled with it being DRAM-less, but these days drives use a region of SLC flash as their cache and they still have decent performance.

You can also look at 2230 size drives since there is likely a pillar to support them, or they can be adaptered. WD SN530 and Kioxia BG4 for example. (Kioxia is the new name for Toshiba)

Theo

Reply to
Theo

The 2242 size (22 x 42 mm) is critical, this machine's M.2 slot is not much longer than 1.5"

Reply to
Andy Burns

disk timeouts, retrying I/O, device getting reset by windows, have put it in an external USB->M.2 enclosure, it hasn't got past un-bitlockering more than a couple of times.

I have a reasonably recent backup, so not *that* concerned at recovering it.

just a web/email laptop.

The original SSD did have DRAM, the replacement didn't and despite larger size (which usually helps performance) it wasn't mcuh faster, but there are few enough 42mm drives to start with, asking for NVMe instead of SATA whittles it down, asking for cache on such a small device takes the candidates down to one or two.

Yes, but having had a Lexar die (though I didn't realise Micron had flogged the brand to LuckyGoldenHedgehog) I wonder if there's much of a difference?

My experience too, but mainly with 2.5" SATA, for M.2 they only seem to do 80mm flavour.

Yeah, I'm only out about a week of not much, anything important goes to the NAS from this machine.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Samsung PM991 2242 ?

I'd prefer something with trustworthy labeling, maybe the Samsung Store would be a better place to shop.

You'd probably have to find a review to get some idea what you're buying there.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Machine only has one screw-hole, but I dare say a plastic washer and some hot snot could be employed. I saw someone had a batch of ten Samsung PM991s "pulls" on eBay at £61, but boat from Gillingham seems slower than boat from Hong Kong ... choice between that and the Sabrent from amazon next day at £80

Reply to
Andy Burns
13 months seems to me to be ridiculously short. I'd be wanting a free replacement I think. Brian
Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

A lot of ebay uk sellers are now stating estimated delivery in 7 days but they are often posting the same day with 48 hour or 2nd class delivery.

Chinese posters claim an estimated 3 days but often it is two weeks+.

Reply to
alan_m

It was bought from what I'm fairly sure is Lexar's official store on AliExpress ... just had a reply from them to ship it back to Guang Dong Sheng and they will replace it, it's only £3 for postage, so will probably do so.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I have a surplus Kingston 480GB SSD what do I need to do to run it off a USB port? Will it need to be formatted first?

Reply to
AJH

I have a Kingspec one bought direct from AliExpress, works fine.

Reply to
Chris Green

buy a USB to SATA caddy.

Its probably formatted already

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

and I've had it the other way round from China - estimated delivery in a month or two, but delivery in a couple of weeks

Reply to
charles