Telescopic ladders?

I would like to be able to get up to the gutters / soffits on this two
story Victorian cottage and don't currently have a suitable ladder.
This wouldn't be for any extended work, just replacing a floodlight or
removing debris from the gutters etc.
I like the idea of the telescopic ladders from a storage /
portability
POV but I have only ever footed a 3.2m one but I'm assuming I'd be
looking at something quite a bit longer to reach such heights
(probably 5+m)?
It looks like I can do those sorts of things I need from the guidance
here:

... and I would be able to secure the ladder appropriately so the
question is really around the feasibility of telescopic ladders of
that sort of length? I'm guessing they wouldn't make them if no one
bought them and from the specs I've seen they could easily support my
weight etc (ladder max 150kg etc).
I really wouldn't be using such regularly but would just like to be
able to myself if required (or set tree climbing daughter up there
whilst I foot it etc). ;-)
What does the panel think?
Cheers, T i m
Reply to
T i m
I doubt if you would find one more than approx 3m to 4m. The weight and base width rise quite a bit in a non-linear way the longer the telescopic ladder.
Your gutter is probably more like 6m from the ground and for a ladder to reach with the required lean you probably want more like 8 to 10m. Ideally you want a ladder that reaches beyond the gutter. Working on the inside of a gutter from a ladder that only reaches to below the gutter is a PITA and possibly considered dangerous.
Reply to
alan_m
Screwfix do one at 4.4m.
I saw this one on Amazon:
but I wouldn't feel very confident with it's strength.
A 2 story Victorian house typically has higher than average ceilings too.
Reply to
Fredxx
I used ladders all day and every day during my working life. I owned two telescopic ladders.
There are so many disadvantages to telescopic ladders that the only sensible use for them is where the ladder has to be either stored or gotten through a restricted space. Remember that an aluminium ladder can be stored on a shed roof or hung on a wall as long as it is padlocked.
To use a ladder against guttering it needs to extent *at least* 600mm above the guttering.
The best ladder for you would need to extend to 7 metres. A 7 metre triple would be good, because for lower work you can discard one section. If your gutters are really low you could maybe manage with a 6 metre ladder.
Using a ladder that isn't quite long enough for the job is a sure way of having an accident. Ladders should always be oversized for the job.
Bill
Reply to
williamwright
A little springy and creaky, but it was many years ago, maybe they are better now. Are we talking the ones that concertina, or some other type
Brian
Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa
It hurts the arms as well. You can attach yourself OK, but looking down on a job is to be preferred when I could do it. I did not like heights much when I could see, now I can't see they don't worry me, but then I can't see to do the job either!
Most telescopic ladders of a long enough length are still longish when collapsed of course. I did see a long version of the concertina ladder that would fit into a van, but it was very heavy, and had lots of give when extended, and a very complicated latching system to keep it rigid. Brian
Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa
It depend on the height of Tim's Victorian house gutters? While his "cottage" may have low ceilings my 1905 property has 9 foot high ceilings, add the depth of the joists and floor boards between floors and that the suspended floor inside is higher than ground level and I'm already approaching 6 to 7 metres with a ladder fixed vertically to the outside of my property :)
Reply to
alan_m
Jeff Layman formulated on Friday :
I have one which I bought (I think) a special offer from Tesco a few years ago. Made from alloy, it works as either a flat wall stand off, or can be located on the corner of a building. It just clips on to the ladder via springs. I use it with my (very) heavy double extension. I doubt it would work, or work as well with a telescopic.
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.
My son bought one and I've used it once - I'm reasonably happy on normal ladders but did not enjoy using his. Also, a stand-off makes gutter work easier/safer and I doubt that you can fit one to a telescopic ladder. Since I invested in a lightweight tower I use it in preference to a ladder, despite the time taken to assemble and disassemble. Have you investigated hiring/buying a tower?
Reply to
nothanks
I would also consider using a ladder stand off near the top and a set of ladder stabilisers at the bottom.
Reply to
No Name
A friend bought one, to clean gutters, 4.7M from Amazon. I'm supposed to go around her house tomorrow and hold the bottom of the ladder for her.
I guess that is woman talk for she will hold the bottom of the ladder while I clean her guttering. Actually, she'll probably get her son to hold the ladder while I clean the guttering.
If you are interested I'll tell you what it was like Monday.
Reply to
Pancho
(I'm re-sending this because whist Agent says it has been sent, I can't see it on the ng. Sorry if it's a duplicate).
I would like to be able to get up to the gutters / soffits on this two story Victorian cottage and don't currently have a suitable ladder.
This wouldn't be for any extended work, just replacing the floodlight that covers the back garden or removing debris from the gutters etc.
[...]
This wouldn't be for any extended work, just replacing the lamp in floodlight that covers the back garden or removing debris from the gutters etc.
I like the idea of the telescopic ladders from a storage /
portability POV but I have only ever footed a 3.2m one but I'm assuming I'd be looking at something quite a bit longer to reach such heights (probably 5+m)?
It looks like I can do those sorts of things I need with a ladder from the guidance here:
... and I would be able to secure the ladder appropriately so the question is really around the practicability feasibility of telescopic ladders of that sort of length? I'm guessing they wouldn't make them if no one bought them and from the specs I've seen they could easily support my weight etc ('ladder max load 150kg' etc).
I really wouldn't be using such regularly but would just like to be able to myself if required (or send tree climbing daughter up there whilst I foot it etc). ;-)
What does the panel think, advice on makes / models etc please?
Cheers, T i m
Reply to
T i m
<snip>
Thanks Rob.
The first posting (last night) didn't (and still hasn't) appeared.
I re-sent it this morning, still no-show here.
I copied and pasted the content into a new message and it appeared as normal?
I do sometimes (rarely) find it doesn't send (or retrieve the headers or a message) but goes / receives ok when I re-try.
Cheers, T i m
Reply to
T i m
On Fri, 20 Nov 2020 12:54:47 +0000, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
<snip>
So, Jimmy, when you ask a serious question here and people take the piss out of you you throw your toys out the pram?
Hypocrisy?
Cheers, T i m
Reply to
T i m
You mean surveyors' ladders. They are great for portability, will fit in a car boot. They are a little bit "bouncy" (you need to watch for trapped fingers when collapsing them). Might just about be OK for reaching up into gutters to clear them if these are low enough. For more serious maintenance (e.g. replacing gutters or brackets) you'd be better off with a proper extension ladder and standoff (if you have room to store it).
Reply to
newshound

Site Timeline Threads