Telescopic ladders

Anyone used one of these telescopic ladders?

The main use will be cleaning/repairing gutters, don't need to get on the roof. I have a suitable double extension already, but sometimes getting it through the house to the back is a problem.

So, what height do I need? They seem to only go up to 5 metres.

Also, I understand that you extend them from the top, upwards. If I want to use it at half height, will the bottom portion prevent me from using it?

Reply to
TMH

I had a pair (some bastard stole them).

Very useful.

You do not want to be working at 5m with them unless you want to spend serious money on a pair.

Reply to
ARW

I have a set. I find them very useful at times and I can transport them in the boot of the car. They are heavier than the equivalent 'domestic' quality aluminium ladder that I also own. Because of the telescopic nature of the beast the tubular sections at the bottom are larger than the top I and the more sections you have the larger the bottom section - in general this it what makes it heavier. I have the 3.5m version but I'm not sure that the design concept is suitable for much longer versions.

If you want half height you leave all the top rungs bunched together. You open from the bottom.

See example instructions

They sometimes can be a PITA to collapse. Once the ladder has had weight on it the catches sometimes jam in the locked position - you have to watch your fingers as the rungs meet each other when collapsed (aka a blunt guillotine) so when trying to free the catches make sure that you fingers are clear of the lower rungs.

Reply to
alan_m

Sometimes called surveyors' ladders, for obvious reasons. I also have a

3.5. Very useful because of the portability. +1 about watching your fingers (but I don't have sticking problems with mine).
Reply to
newshound

bloody dangerous things and you can lose a finger...I have all three sizes .......

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

I don't have one. I can't help thinking the folding multisection ladders, which I do have, are a lot more useful.

What height? Would you like us to come & measure your house?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

In message , Jim GM4DHJ ... writes

I've seen someone almost lose a finger when up one of these. Not sure exactly what happened. On the other hand, this week one of the catches stuck on my folding ladder and I trapped a finger, but that was just painful.

Reply to
Bill

Not advisable for nudists then

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

bloody chinky junk ... factory shop are doing the longest one for ?59 up here at the moment .....good price

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

the space between the rungs are to bloody big as well ......

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

I've used one provided by a school to reach the double height ceiling in their hall, I'm no lightweight and they didn't feel flimsy.

I just use my two section extension ladder with a stand-off to reach guttering.

Ah, understood; I can take mine out the front or rear of the garage.

You should get away with a little less than that, depending on height of eaves (2 x 2.4m ?) and your own height, e.g assuming you want to stand a few rungs down so your shoulders are just above gutter height, and allowing for the angle of the ladder.

ISTR they have longer than standard spacing, so might not fit a stand-off, without one I find the gutters are in my face.

I think you can extend the 'spare' rungs to the top or leave them at the bottom, but then you have to step over them.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I have a Youngman 3.3m

If you want to use it fully extended then you start extending from the top

Reply to
DJC

I wish our window cleaner would get one, as he knocks chunks of my paint off as he carries his ladder through the house as its kind of dog leg shaped. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff