Telescopic ladders?

I've always fancied getting one, as I frequently end up transporting ladders around by car, either shoehorning a stepladder inside (and making any passenger sit behind me!) or raking out the roof rack and tieing an extension ladder on top. Both a PITA.

Spotted this today:

...not a big fan of Maplin's normally, least of all for buying ladders! but doesn't that look quite a reasonable deal? Looks like a 'Pro User' brand - aren't they pretty good?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Looks almost identical to the one I just bought following a similar post I made here about a month ago. It's not a pro brand, it's made cheap in a factory in China (you did see the price?), but it's adequate providing you aren't going to be using it 8hrs/day, 5days/week, 52...

It's fine for those of us who need a ladder from time to time, but it's not a 'real' ladder. You should see it flex as you climb! (don't look down). I think I bought a 3.2 metre version, I'm glad I did, the 2.9 wouldn't have given me the height I need.

Do I think it's great? No. Would I be lost without it? Yes.

Justin.

Reply to
Justin C

Ah just found that - thanks, useful thread. Should've searched first, eh?!

Is your model one of the ones mentioned where all the weight of any un-extended rungs is borne aloft, when the ladder is used not fully extended?

Cheers David

Reply to
Lobster

I extend mine from the top, so any weight would be at the bottom, but I've yet to use it only partially extended, I've always needed it all so far.

Justin.

Reply to
Justin C

If it's anything like the usual telescopic ladder offerings then they work, just. Using one, despite prominent claims to comply with some 'standard' (EN131-2) is nothing like using a proper ladder.

There is nowhere near enough material in their construction, combine this with very small cross sectional areas and the result is very poor stiffness. They are very easy to excite into a mode where they vibrate like crazy. As a result they are nearly hopeless as a work platform, as an access solution they are slightly more acceptable. If you were really lightweight then they might be perfect, for normal sized people and fatties they are not.

I still use one occasionally as it's the only ladder I can carry in the boot of my car. But I'd *always* choose another ladder if I had a choice.

Mine was about 40 quid from eBay, the others I've seen up to 150 quid or more are near identical in design and 'performance'

Reply to
The Other Mike