Lights blowing out frequently

My kitchen lights (60w bulb) blow out at least monthly, but more like twice a month. What can be the cause of this? This if the only room in the house with this issue.

Reply to
TC

There area number of possible issues.

Is there any vibration sources near them? (exhaust fan, equipment above them etc.)

Are they enclosed where heat may be a factor?

Is there any chance of moisture?

Do you have any areas of your home where the lights tend to brighten or dim at times? Especially if they do so in response to some other electrical even like the furnace or washer or frig starting or stopping?

Are those the only lights burning out early?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Do you mean the breaker is blowing or the 60w bulb? What condition is the socket in? is it rusty?

Reply to
wicked

If you use those lights a lot, it could be high line voltage. Mine is 130 volts and that is damned hard on incandescent bulbs.

Have you checked your line voltage?

Reply to
Charles Schuler

do these lights get turned on and off constantly?

Reply to
hallerb

The bulb. The socket looks fine, although, not high-end. And there are two sockets on the same line - both eat up lightbulbs pretty frequently. No moisture or obstructions that I can see.

Reply to
TC

I have not.

Reply to
TC

No more or less than the bathroom lights.

Reply to
TC

How many bulbs?

Do they all blow out simultaneously?

Have you ever cought one blowing out with a bright flash just as you flipped the light switch ON?

Are all the bulbs from the same lot?

Are the bathroom lights also 60 watt bulbs, and if so are they from the same lot?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Just 2 on the same line. We normally use the brand carried by Publix -

60w. It has blown with a bit of a flash but cannnot say if it does it always.
Reply to
TC

You didn't respond to Joseph's questions about whether there might be vibration from something near or above the lamps, nor his one about lights dimming or brightening when appliances or other "heavy" loads turn on or off.

I once lived where the folks upstairs had a treadmill located above one of my ceiling light fixtures and I'd swear that the vibration from that made the bulbs in that fixture blow more ofthen than I thought they should. (Not to mention the annoyance of living with that rumble.)

The brightening or dimming of bulbs when appliances turn on or off is usually a symptom of a higher than "zero" resistance in the connection between the power company's lines and the home's breaker panel's neutral buss.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Nothing that I can see. Just insulation. The AC duct is about 3' away. That's it though.

Just insulation? But I don't think heat is an issue.

I didn't see anything to indicate moisture.

No.

No.

Reply to
TC

If other lights are burning out early around your home, you could have what is called a floating neutral. It is the result of a poor connection of the "white" neutral wire somewhere. The result is some outlets and lights may receive more than the expected voltage and others less. The amount may change as different loads are added or subtracted.

This can be dangerous. It it exist it can cause a fire and damage appliances.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I would have bet it was cheap lamps had you not mentioned that it does not do it in the bathroom.

Terry

This is your problem. YOu've heard how bad the Publics hools are, right? You need to use Privatex light bulbs.

Reply to
mm

You keep mentioning insulation. Are these recessed lights? If so, I bet it's a heat issue. Try some compact florescent bulbs. THey run much cooler.

Reply to
me

That's the first thing I would recommend. Head down to Radio Shack and get a cheap digital voltmeter for $10. Then just set it for AC voltage, remove the light bulb, and touch one lead to the inside threaded part of the socket and the other lead to the center of the socket. If you're reading much over 120 V, that could explain the short lifespan of the bulbs.

Reply to
BZ

Note: not all recessed lights are rated to be used with insulation close to them. They will overheat and create both a fire hazard and reduced lamp life.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

No. Insulation in the ceiling. The lights themselves as well as the recepticle sit on the surface of the ceiling.

Reply to
TC

Both sockets are at 120.

Reply to