undercabinet lights burning out early

My kitchen has generic under the cabinet fluorescent light fixtures. Each fixture hold two eight watt fluorescent tubes. The lamps only last about 6 months although they are rated at 10,000 hours which is more than a year continuous use. We only use them about 6 hours a day so they are failing long before they should. My assumption is they are running too hot shortening their life. House AC is fine not an overvoltage problem.

So, any of you have a recommendation for a fixture than works better, maybe runs cooler?

Reply to
Jeff

My first guess would also be the heat. It is more than one fixture or just one. If just one I would look at the ballast as well. It could be a problem. Also make sure you have the right lamps for that fixture.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

If these are the lamps that came with the fixtures, I am not surprised that they failed prematurely. Manufacturers usually supply cheap lamps. Replace them with GE. Also frequent cycling of fluorescent lights will shorten their life (Turning them on and off often). Another possibility is vibration from the cabinets as a result of slamming doors and shuffling dishes etc.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Had this problem with single tube undercab plug in fixture. 2 burned out within 6 months. Called the maker (GE). GE said this happens when using GFCI outlet. Mine was plugged directly in GFCI. Don't know if this would apply to upstream GFCI. Used non-GFCI & no problems for three or more years now. HTH

Reply to
Liza Rhoades

Interesting.

Reply to