wooden ladders

Hi

What are the pros and cons of wooden ladders vs aluminium: particularly with a 2 section ladder that can be used as:

single 8 ft ladder

2 section 15ft ladder or stair work platform

I ask cos its about half the price.

Thanks, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

They're heaview then aluminium, don't last as long, and don't take abuse as easily.

For long sections, such as my 5m 2 section ladder, a wooden version would simply be too heavy to carry on your own.

Reply to
Grunff

Thanks Grunff. This is a 16 footer, 5m, and its no problem to carry - though it is a fair bit heavier than ali. But seeing as I'm not using it day in day out, or lugging it half way round the country, I dont see it as a problem.

It just struck me that almost all ladders sold now are ali, despite the big price difference, so I wondered if there was some 'no' about wood - but I cant find any problem with it.

Thanks, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

An advantage of a wooden ladder is that it will usually give fair warning before failing, and do so with a few creaks and groans, whereas an aluminium ladder (if overloaded) can fail immediately.

That said mines alloy and I've had it 30 years !

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

[T] Some more thoughs.

Pro: A wooden ladder is less likely to get stolen (no scrap or second user value)

Con: A wooden ladder won't be happy if left outside in the rain for

30 years ..

Con: A wooden ladder is less likely to have special 'feet'.

Con: I wouldn't want to get a wooden ladder up onto a roof.

Con: A wooden ladder is more likely to dent yer car roof whilst getting it on the roofrack!

Pro: It makes a good bonfire when you are fed up with it ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m