Telescopic ladders?

I have seen 6.2m telescopic ladders on eBay for £19.00 but you got to ask yourself just how good they are when the likes of Screwfix are selling 3m+ types between £100 & £150. I really would not like to find out when 6m above the ground. I have a 3.6m one which is more than adequate to reach everything I need to on our bungalow but it is heavy and difficult to manoeuvre I can only imagine how awkward a version nearly twice mine would be to carry, extend and manoeuvre.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Doesn't he have a local hire shop where a much safer lightweight tower structure could be obtained ?.

Reply to
Andrew

He did say a cottage, though. Mine (OK, Georgian) is also on sloping ground so IIRC I can easily reach one set of gutters with the telescopic ladder

Reply to
newshound

My son gave me a 250 GB memory card that he had bought on ebay for £2. I stuck it in the phone and it worked for a while before becoming corrupt and being thrown away. I appreciate that you'd notice if your 6m ladder were really only 1m, but there's bound to be a safety issue at that price.

Reply to
GB
<snip>

Well, they build pretty high buildings using bamboo scaffolding but ...

Well quite. ;-(

Me neither. Mind you, it's not heights that kill people, it's normally the ground! ;-(

It seems they do vary in weight quite a bit and not always directly related to their length.

It may well be one of those things where they are generally an asset up to 3.x m but after that they (as you say) become overly heavy and unwieldy, or no less so than a std 2 or 3 piece ally ladder that could be much cheaper, lighter and more comfortable in use?

It's just not so easy to store ...

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

totly

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

On Fri, 20 Nov 2020 14:04:28 +0000, GB snipped-for-privacy@microsoft.com wrote: <snip>

<snip>

Whilst I agree in general and that sometimes the 'devil can be in the detail' (like catches and material and build quality, rather than core design) there are many many instances where you see the *exact same* thing sold in the UK for loads more than it is even elsewhere in the UK, suggesting that price alone can't always be a clear indicator of the quality of such things.

But yes, the chances are a £19 ladder from China wouldn't compare equally with a £200 one sold in the UK and whilst the £19 one might actually work, the issue could be 'for how long' or 'how reliably', especially if you push it to it's limits.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

deadly I have the three lengths available deadly

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...
<snip>

Ok, how we have that sorted, what practical advice can you offer with all your years of experience?

And see if you can put as much effort into your reply as you did when complaining that you weren't being taken seriously (assuming you actually have any experience of such ladders of course)? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Lightening this up, when I was younger and could see there were many optical illusion pictures around. One was the impossible waterfall, as I'm sure you have all seen where they all join up and all appear to go downward. There was another of a one sided ladder that curved and had a twist, so that the little cartoon men could not only climb forever but never find the other side. The old obvious loop. One sided bit of paper etc. Brain breaking stuff. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

You obviously know about women

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

And the 'Penrose stairs' (on the subject of steps).

I bet many who live on the upper floors of flats knows just how much of an illusion it isn't, especially when the lift is out of action. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Price has little to do with quality. It is determined by the 'what the market will stand' principle. People will always charge what they can get.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Mobius?

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Q. Why did the chicken cross the Moebius Strip?

A. To get to the same side !

Reply to
gareth evans

I don't hold with the phrase "You get what you pay for." That's often not the case. I would rephrase it: "You don't get what you don't pay for."

In this case, that means you can't get a safe 6m telescopic ladder.

Reply to
GB

Often, especially these days.

Often (especially these days) but not always.

'Some people' might, others have morals / ethics and be happy to provide (good) value for money.

I have probably done hundreds of jobs in my time for others where I could very easily have charged (and was generally offered) money to do so but refused, preferring to work on the 'What goes round, comes round' idea.

That's not that I couldn't have made use of the extra cash of course, but as long as I could live reasonably comfortably that was all I

*needed*.

So, I'd get called out by an elderly neighbour because their TV / video had 'gone wrong' and I'd pop along (often there and then) and sort it out for them (for nowt).

That's what being a good neighbour is all about eh?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

First time I saw one was perhaps 20 years back when I had a survey done on a place I was looking at buying and the surveyor produced one from the back of his car. I was very worried at first in case it collapsed he was on the heavy side and I doubt I could lift him up. But it took his weight and I asked to try it. It was very steady it had a bar at the bottom increasing the footprint to about double width. His extended and folded in the middle so you could have a long ladder or a set of steps. Since then I?ve seen several surveyors with then. Aldi had one on offer recently for about £80. Personally unless I needed something telescopic I would avoid but I suspect they are safe unless you are really heavy. Certainly a lady would probably be ok as they tend to be lighter. Go for on with the bar / extended foot thing for stability.

Reply to
Radio Man

Actually he has already told you he thinks telescopic ladders are a Bad Thing. Albeit with no detail or justification. I must admit from my very limited experience I don't think I'd like to use one longer than about 3m.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Well yes (I had already got that). ;-)

Quite, hence why I pushed him to see if he could / would expand on it at all. AFAIK, his justification for his potentially 'out of touch' / 'outmoded' comment was down to a bad experience with him using one horizontally as a gangplank, pushing his barrow load of stolen bricks? ;-(

I think it's one of those things where if you *knew* you were safe (it wasn't going to fail, simply because it was telescopic, even if you took liberties with it) then you would just treat it like the tool it was supposed to be.

Like working 1,000 (not 30) feet up using bamboo scaffolding. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m