I Want A Drone (To Check My Gutters)

How little can I spend on a drone that I can use to check and see when my gutters need to be cleaned? The highest part of the house can be reached with a 28' extension ladder.

Options? Specific suggestions?

(This should be fun)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yeah, drag out the ladder anyway, you'll need it to retrieve the drone.

Reply to
Mike Duffy

Find one that will clean the inspect the gutters then, if necessary, CLEAN them too. If it works well let us know what one you bought. ;-)

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Mount one of this on a pole and inspect with your cell phone

ChairMan

Was that English?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I think he should just stick with emoticons.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

LOL! Ditto to that. Neighbor kids are always coming over.... can we go in your back yard and get our "drone."

I agree it would be fun. Check out the quadcopters at the neighborhood RC hobby shop and fasten your cell camera to it? I have heard vibration can be a problem.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

If I'm going to need a ladder to retrieve the drone, I sure don't want to send my cell phone up with it. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

we go in your back yard and get our "drone."

neighborhood RC hobby shop and fasten your cell camera to it? I have heard vibration can be a problem.

Get a quadcopter for $60 and one of those $10 prepaid cell phones. Don't activate the phone - just start the video when you're ready to go and view it later. Cheap "drones" start at $500.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

It was suppose to be:

Find one that will inspect the gutters then, if necessary, CLEAN them too. If it works well let us know what one you bought. ;-)

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com...

go in your back yard and get our "drone."

od RC hobby shop and fasten your cell camera to it? I have heard vibration can be a problem.

t activate the phone - just start the video when you're ready to go and vie w it later. Cheap "drones" start at $500.

Well, I guess that's just a matter of semantics.

Technically, a quadcopter *is* a drone...

Stolen without permission from:

*** Begin Stolen Text ***

Is a quadcopter a drone? Or a UAV?

Technically, yes ? quadcopters are both drones and Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV). But they differ significantly from what most people think of when th ey hear the word drone. A drone, or an unmanned aerial vehicle (or UAS ? ? unmanned aerial system), is simply an aircraft without a human pilot on boa rd it. One could make the case that a quadcopter like the Walkera Ladybird is hardly an ?aircraft? given its small size, but technically it is. As you move towards the larger quadcopters, such as the DJI Phantom or the professional grade videography models, it is easier to conceive of these quads as aircraft.

*** End Stolen Text ***
Reply to
DerbyDad03

It's been done, but it won't work for my situation. I see how they can be used to clean out dry leaves, but once things get wet and the tree debris begins to turn to mush, this technique will either 1) not work at all, or

2) make a real mess.

DerbyDad03

[...]

For scoping out the roof, what about a helium balloon? Can't get much lower cost than that.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

see when my gutters need to be cleaned? The highest part of the house can be reached with a 28' extension ladder.

necessary, CLEAN them too. If it works well let us know what

them too. If it works well let us know what one you

What connecting a water hose to a downspout, sealing all the others and floating the leaves out?

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

[...]

Or just attaching a camera to a few lengths of conduit. Although, that eliminates the justification to get a drone.... LOL

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

Spot on. 4-5 months ago I tied a water bottle to a rope to lasso the damn thing off the roof. If you take my approach, be sure to catch it on the way down. Hard landings are not liked.

Reply to
Thomas

I'll just buy a rescue drone. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

How did the drone end up needing to be lassoed?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Is this micky?

Reply to
bob_villa

It won't float the solids out and if it did it would make a huge mess.

Unless you live in a heavily treed area and have to clean your gutters

2-3 times a year, you don't know how much stuff can build up in the bottom of a gutter.

If I wait too long to clean them, the maple seeds (helicopters) will germinate in the muck and begin to grow. Sometimes in the fall I have to run warm water in the hose to melt the ice in the gutters before I can clean them.

(Let's keep gutter guards out of this discussion. They are worth a thread of their own.)

Reply to
DerbyDad03