Lowes will begin selling Craftsman products

Which still has nothing to do with the fact OSH was acquired by Sears, seventeen years earlier.

You wanna be right? Be my guest. I couldn't care less. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

In Canada theybwon't by Feb 2018 (or sooner)

Reply to
clare

Might be the only thing that kept them going - - -

When I started my apprenticeship as a mechanic I bought my Craftsman starter set and a classmate bought "snap-off" at over twice the price. He had replaced over half of his before he finished his apprenticeship, while I had almost all of my original set over 20 years later.

Reply to
clare

I have Craftsman that I bought 53 years ago. I don't use them like you did, but they were great for a backyard mechanic and homeowner. I'd not buy the new ones though, they were cheapened years ago.

Of course years ago you could take apart virtually everything on the car with just a 1/2" and 9/16" open end and box wrench. Then then furriners started that metric stuff.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I don't think Sears broke ties with Whirlpool, although they will not be selling the appliances with the Whirlpool name I understand that Whirlpool will continue to make some Kenmore appliances.

Reply to
Leon

It was Jimmy Carter that started the metric stuff in the USA. BUT FWIW foreign products were metric long before the US went that route, so metric was here long ago.

Reply to
Leon

I wonder if that will happen in Canada too, now that Sears has/is almost shutdown here.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

You are correct according to Appliance411:

" Sears does not manufacture any of their products, instead they are all made by the other leading manufacturers, often with added features. They are then rebranded with the Kenmore (or other) brand name.

Notably are: most laundry products and dishwashers made by Whirlpool, lower end front load washer and matching dryer by Frigidaire and many range models by GE or Frigidaire."

Reply to
Spalted Walt

The majority of my metric stuff isn't Ctraftsman - I bought a lot of Herbrand during those years because Ralph Clarke was such a nice guy to deal with, the prices were good, and he was around every week or two - and if something broke and needed replacement, he was just a phone call away. Bought a few Snappies too - and some proto / challenger / SK etc.

Reply to
clare

Not from what I heard - and in Canada it's a moot point anyways, as Sears Canada will be closing their doors very early in the new year.

Reply to
clare

I started working almost exclusively on metric in the early '70s, then got back into imperial stuff again around 1975-76 for a few years.

Reply to
clare

Most of the tools that I have replaced in my life were replaced because they walked off or went overboard, not because they broke. And the ones I did manage to break generally broke because I did something boneheaded.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Even just the tools take a huge footprint, more than the tool section allotted in any Lowes I've seen to date.

Why should anything change now. Their quality has been dropping for several decades.

Reply to
krw

I have a Honda that I no longer use. It was a great mower when I had a smaller lot. I now have a Craftsman tractor that's the pits. It does a lousy job cutting but even a walk behind would kill me with this lot (did it for a few months but that's all I did during that time).

Reply to
krw

You started when?

I'm assuming "snap-off" is a joke. Granted, Snap-0n prices are high. I stopped buying their stuff when I realized they were buying Chinese oil cans and mine broke after 2 pumps.

OTOH, I'll never ferget my first experience with Snap-On. I borrowed a 7mm-19mm combo wrench set from a bud. The motorcycle head I needed to remove was a four-square-bolt, down between the head fins, assy. I put a

10mm open-end wrench on the "square" head bolts. I put a "crescent" wrench on the 10mm's shaft and did a "breaker" action on the head bolts. Got the head off after the "shank" twisted 45 degrees from the "head" ....w/o breaking!

I reversed the process, thereby re-aligning the shank to the head. I told the guy I'd borrowed the set from, if you can identify the wrench I'd twisted, I'd replace it. He could not. ;)

Who made that wrench? I suspect Bonney. OTOH, Mac and Snap-On were the only companies that hadda FULL catalog of tools.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Still using my Honda HR194. I purchased it in the Spring of 1987.

Reply to
Leon

I worked in the automotive service field from HS until I retired at 40. I never understood the Snap-On appeal other than being able to buy tools during work hours with out leaving the job. The warranty was probably worst than Craftsman, you had to wait up to a week or more to have a tool replaced.

Reply to
Leon

True. OTOH, early Snap-On never needed to replace tools! That was my point.

Granted, their line became worse and worse, as time went by, but whose didn't!? I wouldn't pay 5¢ fer anything from Snap-On, now. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news:ZAkJB.68628$ snipped-for-privacy@fx03.iad:

All Craftsman is is a sticker with a registered trademark. The owners will probably slap it on everything in the coming years.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I just pulled a 1984 vintage Toro mulcher out of mothballs to mulch and bag my leaves this fall. Not sure how long the OP had it in "storage" but it started first pull when I gassed it up .

Tecumseh engine, 164CC

Reply to
clare