Lowes will begin selling Craftsman products

It is? Apparently, didn't help Sears.
In CA, Orchard Supply Hardware (OSH) was bought out by Sears and sold Craftsman tools. Unfortunately, they tossed the infinitely superior William and Bonney line of hand tools to carry Craftsman.

I used my FIL's Craftman electric weed-eater. It was "designed to break" (my quotes!), so it did. I replaced it under Craftsman's "lifetime warranty" and it promply broke --again!-- within 1 min. Izzat what you would qualify as "quality"? ;)
Craftman has NEVER had "quality". Broke my 10mm Craftman combo wrench not too long after learning about Snap-On quality. The closest Sears store was 100 mi away. The Snap-On (Bonney?) jes never bothered to break. That's "quality". ;)
nb

Actually, OSH "was bought out by" Lowes in 2013: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-24/lowe-s-inks-deal-to-sell-craftsman-gaining-edge-over-home-depot

Actually, while the above statement may be true, it had absolutely nothing to do with my stated claim. ;)
"In 1996, the company was acquired by Sears."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orchard_Supply_Hardware
nb

It has everything to do with the subject you were replying to "Lowes will begin selling Craftsman products", technically Lowes has been selling Craftsman products since 2013.

Which still has nothing to do with the fact OSH was acquired by Sears, seventeen years earlier.
You wanna be right? Be my guest. I couldn't care less. ;)
nb
On 10/29/17 9:41 AM, notbob wrote:

Apples and oranges. Sears was a dying retail model with one foot in the grave when Lowes was an emerging giant with a successful strategy.
As soon as they put the first Lowes next to a WalMart, Sears became cassette tape of brick & mortar retail.

--

-MIKE-

.....they created the "100 yd boulevard", six divided lanes with a giant intersection every 100 yds and box stores as far as the eye can see. Add restaurants out near the street and you have the same "boulevard" all over America!
Hard to tell which town yer in, anymore, cuz they all look the same. I've seen the exact same "boulevard" less than 3/4 of a mile, apart, despite being precisely parallel to each other and with "off-ramps" off the same stretch of "freeway". Scary!
nb
On 10/29/17 11:40 AM, notbob wrote:

I noticed that phenomenon when I was doing a lot of touring as a musician. You can sort of tell what part of the country you're in by the scenery along the highway. There's only 4 or 5, really-- city/suburbia, farmland, desert, mountains, ocean-view.
But once you're off on an exit, every place looks exactly the same, as you described.
--

-MIKE-

Might be the only thing that kept them going - - -

When I started my apprenticeship as a mechanic I bought my Craftsman starter set and a classmate bought "snap-off" at over twice the price. He had replaced over half of his before he finished his apprenticeship, while I had almost all of my original set over 20 years later.

On 10/29/2017 2:48 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I have Craftsman that I bought 53 years ago. I don't use them like you did, but they were great for a backyard mechanic and homeowner. I'd not buy the new ones though, they were cheapened years ago.
Of course years ago you could take apart virtually everything on the car with just a 1/2" and 9/16" open end and box wrench. Then then furriners started that metric stuff.
On 10/29/2017 2:37 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It was Jimmy Carter that started the metric stuff in the USA. BUT FWIW foreign products were metric long before the US went that route, so metric was here long ago.

I started working almost exclusively on metric in the early '70s, then got back into imperial stuff again around 1975-76 for a few years.
On 10/29/2017 3:50 PM, Leon wrote:

Back in the '60s the corner garage would not work on your Fiat because they did not have the tools. I cannot imaginr getting your Borgward repaired easily.

Define "corner garage". In the 60s, my brother worked in a local filling station (with a 2-bay working garage) and they specialized in European cars. Metric combo wrenches or British Whitworth spanners were the weapons they wielded. ;)

Imagine passing the first Borgward I'd seen in 30 yrs, then seeing that same car at a CA Borgward Owner's Assoc., meet some 50 miles away! True story.
nb

The majority of my metric stuff isn't Ctraftsman - I bought a lot of Herbrand during those years because Ralph Clarke was such a nice guy to deal with, the prices were good, and he was around every week or two - and if something broke and needed replacement, he was just a phone call away. Bought a few Snappies too - and some proto / challenger / SK etc.
On Sun, 29 Oct 2017 14:48:24 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Most of the tools that I have replaced in my life were replaced because they walked off or went overboard, not because they broke. And the ones I did manage to break generally broke because I did something boneheaded.

You started when?

I'm assuming "snap-off" is a joke. Granted, Snap-0n prices are high. I stopped buying their stuff when I realized they were buying Chinese oil cans and mine broke after 2 pumps.
OTOH, I'll never ferget my first experience with Snap-On. I borrowed a 7mm-19mm combo wrench set from a bud. The motorcycle head I needed to remove was a four-square-bolt, down between the head fins, assy. I put a 10mm open-end wrench on the "square" head bolts. I put a "crescent" wrench on the 10mm's shaft and did a "breaker" action on the head bolts. Got the head off after the "shank" twisted 45 degrees from the "head" ....w/o breaking!
I reversed the process, thereby re-aligning the shank to the head. I told the guy I'd borrowed the set from, if you can identify the wrench I'd twisted, I'd replace it. He could not. ;)
Who made that wrench? I suspect Bonney. OTOH, Mac and Snap-On were the only companies that hadda FULL catalog of tools.
nb
On 10/29/2017 4:58 PM, notbob wrote:

I worked in the automotive service field from HS until I retired at 40. I never understood the Snap-On appeal other than being able to buy tools during work hours with out leaving the job. The warranty was probably worst than Craftsman, you had to wait up to a week or more to have a tool replaced.

True. OTOH, early Snap-On never needed to replace tools! That was my point.
Granted, their line became worse and worse, as time went by, but whose didn't!? I wouldn't pay 5¢ fer anything from Snap-On, now. ;)
nb

Not my experience, nor my classmates. That's why we started calling them "snap-off" tools.

This was way back in the late '60s and early 70s and they were not as good as they would have had you believe.
They sure were PRETTY though!!!! Better chrome than the competition, except possibly SK.