BEWARE: Harbor Freight poor customer service...

wrote

Obviously you must already have the tracking #, otherwise UPS couldn't tell you anything. But, you didn't mention you have the tracking #, if you don't have it, you are being misinformed. Since the package value was over the initial $100 insurance provided by UPS on all packages, HF should have insured it for the value. I can't imagine even HF sending items that had to have additional insurance, without a signature confirmation/acceptance. Something just doesn't sound right about your experience.

Reply to
Uncle

Yeah that'll work. First thing they ask is did you order the item. you say yes. they say work it out with who you ordered from! Been there, done that.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Not with American Express.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I've had to do two chargebacks in the last 18 months with Visa. I called and reported that I had not received the order and that the vendor was either unhelpful or uncommunicative. Visa faxed me a form that I signed and faxed back, and the problem was taken care of. Easy and painless.

Reply to
mp

I once had UPS deliver a $5k shipment of server ram. I got into my car and was about to drive a away when a neighbour saw me and pointed to my front tire. Thinking I had a flat, I got out to look. There was the box of ram, right under my front tire. The vendor's shipping policy with UPS is signature required for every shipment. I was home at the time, and the UPS driver didn't even bother to knock on the door. But he was considerate enough to hide the shipment where it wouldn't readily be seen by passers by.

Reply to
mp

Ouch.

Sorry, Charlie. (Gawd, that sounds like a tuna commercial.)

PDX is the designation for Portland International Airport which was my reference, and really only meant that there would not be two PDX designations.

I am, however, surprised to learn that Portland, Maine, has a designated international airport. What is its airport designation (as SEA for Sea/Tac in Seattle, Washington; PDX for Portland, Oregon, LAX for Los Angeles [also international designated], etc.)? I guess I think of the area as being more rural; read too many old novels about the beauty of the Maine countryside perhaps.

Perhaps the international designations were made in a time when Portland, Maine, was smaller. I don't happen to have any of my ex's Jepson Manuals to look at, or not that I could find if I do have them packed in a box somewhere that has been unopened for 20+ years. (That '71 Chev is going to be making many trips to the dump come summer!)

Glenna (who still bets PDX David is referring to Portland, Oregon, near the mighty Columbia River, not Portland, Maine)

Reply to
Glenna Rose

Glenna responds:

Maine is gorgeous: if you ever get a chance, see Acadia National Park. I'm not really sure Portland has an international airport, but it's a possibility. I used to visit Maine regularly when my kid sister was alive--she lived in a place called East Blue Hill--and discovered, to my surprise, that Bangor Airport was international, even though it has about as many "gates" as Roanoke (which isn't), VA airport.

And I'd bet you're right about the letter designation. It is very, very unlikely an outfit, even one as inefficient as the federal government, would assign PDX to two airports. But, hey, they hit Los Angeles with LAX, and did it long after Ex-Lax came on the market.

Charlie Self "One of the common denominators I have found is that expectations rise above that which is expected." George W. Bush

Reply to
Charlie Self

"> If you didn't receive the items, and presumably you paid by credit card,

Yeah that'll work. First thing they ask is did you order the item. you say yes. they say work it out with who you ordered from! Been there, done that."

If that was your exper with your credit card company, I'd get a new one. I have a Citibank Visa and they have been excellent in resolving disputes with vendors for me both times when I got them involved. In both cases, I got a full refund.

In this case, it's premature to get the credit card company involved, as the vendor is not refusing to fix it or not responding, just indicating that their half-assed process takes a couple weeks to do it.

Reply to
trader4

Right. There is one PDX, but a lot of Davids posting here sometimes. I mostly lurk out here in PDX, Stumptowm, Puddletown. The Rain Planet, Slabtown, River City, Little Beirut, The Rose City, Moscow on the Willamette, Portland. We have an "international" airport, but I've always gone through customs in Seattle when traveling. I guess we have a direct flight or two to Tokyo and a few to Mexico - most everything else goes through somewhere bigger.

Not that anyone is likely to be interested, but we were named Portland by a Maine immigrant after a deciding coin toss way back when. Had the coin come other side up we would have been Boston, Oregon.

Back to lurking.

PDX David

Is this still about Harbor Freight :-)

Reply to
Jane & David

All you have to do is say they refuse to work with you and you can get the amount charged back to your card. It's simple.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

My UPS guy is great. While he doesn't ask for a signature he always rings the doorbell when he drops off a package. I work out of my garage workshop and I am in clear view of the street with the door open. I only average one or two deliveries a month but the UPS driver always honks and waves as he drives by every day. nice guy and good service. Maybe you should add a roof to your porch to keep packages out of the rain.

Bruce

outside

Reply to
Bruce

I've placed at least a dozen orders with HF over the last couple of years. The shipping has always been faster than promised and the items have always arrived in perfect condition. There have been a couple of occasions where the item ordered either broke or wasn't as promised and one call to customer service took care of the problem on both occasions. One time my money was refunded and the other time a replacement item was on my porch within 3 days. On both occasions the problem was solved without me having to return the items in question and the customer service people were as friendly as could be. The items were fairly inexpensive, (about 10 or less). There have been other times where the description of the items on their website was vague so I called to get more info. They were very helpful and got me the info as professionally as Lee Valley or any of the "High end" stores have done for me. Try getting *that* from Amazon. Do they even have a phone number to call? No business is going to be perfect all the time and I've found the HF's mail order service is just as friendly as they are at the local HF store in my town. It's hard to believe that someone would get this worked up over HF when the problem most likely was with UPS. It's not like HF has refused to help. I'm sure they're very busy this time of year and following up with UPS to make sure you're not trying to rip them off takes time. I'm not saying you're a crook, but they do have to take steps to keep from getting ripped off. Good luck.

Bruce

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@consult.pretender...

newbie

Reply to
Bruce

Reply to
nospam

Newegg is a low price computer & consumer electronics vendor with a stellar reputation for customer service.

I regularly find that sale prices at Amazon and Dell are the same or better than the lowest priced (non-gray market) competitor. For Dell, there are 10-25% off sales nearly every day.

Reply to
boycott

I related my experience to several other card suppliers and each said they would do the same thing. First you put the dispute in writing to the card company, but you can't do that until you 30 days after you tried resolving with the screw up company. Glad your experience was good, I was just grateful that I got all my money back after nearly 4 months an inch of letters numerous e-mails, and telephone calls to idiots that knew nothing. But then, I'll never purchase anything from Dell again.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Nope. They didn't refuse. They were very cooperative just incompetent about returning all the money. Three packages, money for one was returned in two weeks, the rest dribbled. Do you suppose that it was because they were Dell?

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I believe he was referring to the credit card company, not the vendor.

Reply to
mp

He meant for me to tell the credit card company that the vendor (Dell)refused to cooperate and the credit card company would credit the amount. Nothing about that is true! In the first place Dell was cooperating, just very slow, and in the second place the credit card company wouldn't get involved until I had exhausted all effort with the vendor. So, I had a large charge on my card and was told that I didn't have to pay it until the issue was resolved (even says that in the fine print), but I didn't believe that so I paid it. Later I found out that if I had not payed it, I would have been charged late fees and interest even if Dell did give me credit. Over a 4 month period that would have amounted to a considerable amout (especially since late fee charges are about $25 each month) plus the interest rate would go up because of the late fee, etc., etc. Resolution and getting you money back is not always a simple matter.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

If you make a formal complaint to contest the charge, there are no fees or interest on of the charges.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Actually, I was talking about Harbor Freight, not Dell. The original poster said that HF refused to help, hence my suggestion to go back to the CC company.

Assuming that the actual company does offer to reimburse you, then complaining to the CC company isn't the way to go.

Reply to
Brian Henderson