BEWARE: Harbor Freight poor customer service...

I made the mistake of placing a $300+ order with Harbor Freight just before the Holidays.

Items never arrived. I tried calling customer service but got repeated busy signals.

Finally, today, I was told that item was delivered last week and left on the "porch" -- the porch however is in clear open view to the public and covered in snow.. (we live in northern New England)

Rather than take responsibility for it and attempt to quickly correct the error, the customer service person offered the following non-solution: - Wait another 8-10 business days for them to follow up with UPS - Then, order again and wait another 10-14 days for item to be reordered and redelivered (assuming of course that items are still even in stock)

In all (at best) it will take more than 2 months for them to fulfill my order.

The customner service droid and supervisor said that is the "policy" and they were not open to any other solutions, even if I was willing to back it up with my credit card.

They showed no empathy and refused to even admit that they or their agent (UPS) may have done something wrong here (like leaving large boxes of expensive metal tools out on an exposed porch in the snow)

I guess there is a reason for their cheap prices...

If you have had any similar negative customer service experiences with Harbor Freight, please feel free to share them so that the next newbie can be fully "cavet emptor" before purchasing.

I WOULD RECOMMEND AVOIDING HARBOR FREIGHT LIKE THE PLAGUE!

Reply to
boycott

Hi, IMO, your local UPS delivery person made a mistake not HF. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

yeah, Brown let you down

and took a shit on your porch

Reply to
terafferty

Let's deconstruct this:

  1. The order was placed just before the holidays, the busiest shipping period of the year.
  2. Items arrived last week, about 2 weeks after they were ordered.
  3. They were placed on the porch, but you did not notice them, or were not told they were there.
  4. Harbor Freight will follow up with UPS, but their policy requires another 8-10 days to confirm with UPS and perhaps place a claim.
  5. HF will reorder and redeliver, but it will take another 10-14 days, perhaps because they must get satisfaction from UPS that the items were damaged by UPS delivering them to the wrong place.

Questions:

  1. Does UPS usually deliver things to your porch, or someplace else?
  2. Why is it HF's policy to wait 8-10 days. Because they get fraudulent claims and take time to verify them?
  3. What is your real name? Anonymity does not lend credibility.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

non-solution:

UPS's problem for sure! Next time have it delivered to a more secure lacation, next door neihbor perhaps. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

I seem to recall you making a similar claim in the rec.crafts.metalworking NG a while back Your email address seems to indicate that you have been thinking about doing harm to HF for some time. Sorry if I am skeptical about your claims.

Reply to
Kelly Jones

Have never even visited rec.crafts.metalworking and have no interest in metalworking. Try again...

Reply to
blueman

Agreed... but Harbor Freight has contracted with UPS as their agent and therefore morally and legally bears responsibility for making things right.

I never said that HF is doing anything illegal... just that their resolution policy is not customer friendly and puts all the burden on the customer.

Amazon, Dell, Newegg etc. first try to make the customer whole and don't set up absurdly long delay periods to resolve a situation that is not the customer's fault.

The Harbor Freight policy is only adding insult and injury to injury...

Reply to
blueman

They did but Harbor Freight who "contracted" with them as their agent is not doing anything to rectify...

Reply to
blueman

Agreed (we just moved into the neighborhood)... but still Harbor Freight seems to be doing the bare minimum (at most) to resolve this situation.

Reply to
blueman

We just moved to the neighborhood. So I don't know

Could be... but I offered to leave a credit card guarantee. Most other companies seem to be satisfied with that and don't wait for the situation to be fully resolved before trying to help the customer.

Unfortunately, in this day and age, leaving one's real name opens one up to spam and worse...

Reply to
blueman
.

I ordered a replacement part for one of their brad guns a few years ago. The part arrived after about 2 weeks, when I open the box the part was broken worse than the one I was replacing. The box was in good shape, so it was probably broken before it was packed. After about 30 minutes on the phone they agreed to send me another part. Two weeks later (I only lived about 50 miles from their offices at the time) another box arrived. This time they sent me a 7/8" impact socket instead of the correct part. After another 1/2 hour on the phone and another week I finally got the right part.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Sherman

That gives rise to the question, "how often does this happen?" If it happened to me once I would arrange for packages to go to work or a neighbor who is home after that.

- -

DL

> Evidently your buddy Cedeño is a bastard.

::::::::::::::::

Halter Sucks!

Reply to
DL

Had dealings with HF approx 12-15 times with no problems... I suppose there is always a first but then again you can have problems with any company. Heck, I have problems with cable, telephone, check out clerk, seems like the norm now a days......

-JMHO

Reply to
buck

wrote

Simply ask HF for the UPS tracking #, UPS provides tracking #'s on all packages. You punch the # in online and it shows every place the package has been. This way you will be able to tell if it was even shipped. Then you can go from there instead of ranting about something that may or may not have happened, and if HF is pulling your joint.

Reply to
Uncle

He's not asking for your email address, just your name. What do you mean by "or worse"?

Joe

Reply to
Joe Tylicki

I have two driveways - the one on the right goes up a significant incline to the main level garage. There is a sidewalk from this driveway to my front door. The one on the left goes to the lower garage under the house where my shop is located. It is somewhat hidden by a 9 foot tall brick wall that swoops from the drive over to the house. There is no obvious entrance to the house here - only a double garage door and a single entry door.

The UPS driver consistently leaves packages at the lower driveway door. Last summer, a box of Indian River fruit that was sent by a friend unannounced sat in the hot deep south sun for three days before we found it. Every package they deliver goes down there. Last week, $250 worth of drawer slides sat out in the pouring rain all night because we didn't know they were there. (Thanks WW Warehouse, for the very fast delivery!). On the other hand, Fedex consistently goes to the front porch. He parks on the street and walks UP the driveway.

We've called and complained. We put a note on the door. Doesn't matter. Me thinks the driver goes to the left side because the driveway is flat and he can pull right up to the door. On the right, he isn't going to make a tight right turn and uphill grade because he'll have to back out. Plus, on the right, he has to get out of the truck and actually carry the package to the front door or side door that we use. Imagine how heavy a box of 24 drawer slides must weigh.

G-g-g-r-r-r-r-h-h-h-h.

Reply to
bob

You can't blame HF for the policies of UPS. Why not contact UPS yourself and put in a claim? Fact is, once UPS picks up the package, the title to the goods transfers to you. HF has no obligation to do anything.

I would not buy from HF anyway, but it has nothing to do with your problem with UPS.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thgis is Turtle.

Boy Cott , you must not know how to deal with mail order tool companys. Here is how you go at it.

1) Call them back Harbor Freight and get a tracking number from the UPS company and check the details of the delivery. If it has been already delivered and you did not get it for what ever reason. 1A) call Harbor freight back and cancel all order as of now. 1B) Then Call your Credit card company and 1C) have all charges made payiable to harbor freight cancelled. 1D) Then order the needed tool from another company or call, Harbor Freight back and completely make another order for the needed tools but make sure the first order is totally cancelled or don't do any business with them till the first order is cancelled completely.

Now Harbor freight should not have charged your credit card until the day the tools was shipped. So you should have not paid for them yet on your credit card bill. If they have it already billed to you. you should object to paying it till the matter is solved.

Also when ordering tools from the cheapest supplier in the business don't expect Premium Service on problem like this.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

If you didn't receive the items, and presumably you paid by credit card, call the credit card company and get them to do a chargeback. HF and UPS can sort it out amongst themselves.

Reply to
mp