Harbor Freight going out of Business

Harbor Freight going out of Business.

Not that it's any real loss, since their tools were mostly all junk anyhow!

Reply to
jw

"Family disagreements are never pleasant, but this lawsuit is incredibly sad. The assertions in the complaint are completely unfounded and they will be addressed in due course. None of this will affect the business or continued success of Harbor Freight Tools."

Where did it say they were closing their doors? Sounds like unhappy customers trying to start business-damaging rumors in retaliation.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Aside from the fact that they are still in business, that is nearly two years old news.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

And the suit was settled out of court last April.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

All I read was that their fine, robust, and workmanlike tools would probably get cheaper inasmuch as "looting" of the company was halted.

As a small example, a 1/8" hex wrench (nee Allen wrench), bought from Lowe's, SNAPPED in my hand. That's right, it BROKE in two. I have used hex wrenches for many decades and never had one break. Bend? Sure, Twist? It's happened. But never just disintegrate!

I retrieved my Harbor Freight set of hex wrenches from the car's tool kit and finished my job. Outstanding!

Oh, by the way, the screw at issue was a WOOD SCREW. It wasn't like it was rusted or corroded in place and no "cheater" was necessary.

Bottom line: The house-brand toole (Taskforce) sold by Lowe's was junk but the economy set ($4.95) from Harbor Freight met the challenge.

Reply to
HeyBub

Clearance sale, 20% off?

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks for the field report. Bet that torques you off?

.

All I read was that their fine, robust, and workmanlike tools would probably get cheaper inasmuch as "looting" of the company was halted.

As a small example, a 1/8" hex wrench (nee Allen wrench), bought from Lowe's, SNAPPED in my hand. That's right, it BROKE in two. I have used hex wrenches for many decades and never had one break. Bend? Sure, Twist? It's happened. But never just disintegrate!

I retrieved my Harbor Freight set of hex wrenches from the car's tool kit and finished my job. Outstanding!

Oh, by the way, the screw at issue was a WOOD SCREW. It wasn't like it was rusted or corroded in place and no "cheater" was necessary.

Bottom line: The house-brand toole (Taskforce) sold by Lowe's was junk but the economy set ($4.95) from Harbor Freight met the challenge.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Ok, I guess that answers that.... Not that the article really says much of anything regarding the outcome, but it looks like they will stay in business...

Thanks

Reply to
jw

Not that I give a flying flop, but doesn't this subject come up for a thorough flogging, again and again?

nb

Reply to
notbob

I thought Lowes house brand was Kobalt?

It's all about QC, you need the correct heat treatment on the steel or it will either be too soft or too hard. Maybe your tool missed the tempering step and ended up extra hard and brittle.

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333

You post a 18 month old story that's obviously not true?

Reply to
Robert Neville

I remind you that this is a Usenet News Group and not a list.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

I remind you the comical article was forwarded from a list.

.

I remind you that this is a Usenet News Group and not a list.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

They may be opening new stores, but some of what's contained in the article, if true, suggests there could be trouble ahead. It claims the son has highly leveraged the company, taking money out of the company to buy Marvin Davis' estate, NYC apartments, $100mil painting, etc. It wouldn't be the first company to go out of business at some point because of similar practices. And from experience, when that kind of thing is going on, there is often more that you don't know about, like fooling with the books...

Reply to
trader4

Robert Neville wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

someone with a grudge against HF.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Apparently you managed to miss the fact that both the post, and the article it refers to, are from July

2010.
Reply to
Doug Miller

I'll agree with you there. I worked for a small family business decades ago where, as soon as the son took over, the high living and looting began. He expanded the operation, got into new areas the family business had never been in before, opened multiple new stores. He bought himself a new house, new cars and other toys, long vacations, basically never showed up to work. Result: a few years later all the new stores were closing, wholesalers were repossessing their unpaid merchandise right off the stores' shelves, and finally the bankers called father and son into a meeting where they were told, no more loan extensions, no more second/third/fourth chances, they were shutting us down. If it hadn't been for their real estate agent bursting into the meeting with the news that one of the store locations had found a buyer, that would've been it. As it was, the bank agreed to take the proceeds of the sale and give us more time. The father and I worked nonstop to bring the business back from the brink of bankruptcy, while his son continued his playboy lifestyle. I was supposed to take over the father's part of the operations when he eventually retired (again). Instead, they decided to hire the son's no-good son (whose criminal record kept him from finding a job anywhere else) to take his grandpa's position, and keep me as his assistant. I quit.

Reply to
Hell Toupee

First off that's not an article, and second off it happened in 2010.

Reply to
dennisgauge

It is.

"Taskforce" is Lowe's low-end tool line.

Reply to
dennisgauge

Yes, and the lawsuit was settled in April of 2011.

Joe J