Harbor Freight going out of Business

Robert Green wrote:

* Sponge brushes (I love their sponge brushes) for applying foundation. * Her own personal tool-kit for piddly stuff like hanging a picture. * The free or almost free Chinese scissors. * Batteries. * Nitrile, or latex, gloves. * Collapsible step stool or similar. * Any toolbox with compartment for small things. * Furniture sliders * Bicycle lift. * Trunk organizer. * Flashlights.
Admittedly, none of the above are suitable for a Valentine's present. When browsing in a tool store, a man thinks of an item as "What can I use this for?" A woman picks up something simple, such as a torque wrench, and thinks "WTF would I EVER do with something like this."
Ceramic kitchen knives?

Duct Tape

My wife is a DIY'er, but she can ruin a good tool in no time at all. I have bought her HF tools - screwdrivers, ploiers, etc so that mine do not get damaged by mis-use (screwdriver for a pry bar, etc)
I also keep HF tools around as loaners to neighbors who have also shown in the past they don't know the correct use of hand tools and a few power tools as well. I keep them in a tool box that is easily seen when one enters my garage. I call it my loaner box.
John C.

I bought a hand truck last summer. Big wide brute with big blowup wheels. Was not on sale, paid almost$100 , but I love it. Some of their electric tool bits, wheels, etc are excellent. I have been using two different hammer drills, no problems after a few years home remodling. Had some problems with leaking air couplers. Replacement tires are holding up. Their orange mini screwdriver sets are to die for. Best I have ever used. I have an axe made in us, us handle, German blade, excellent. No problems with air hammer. Extension cords are not cheap price. Tile cutter works nice. Straps and rope are pretty good buys. Batteries are ok. Hammers good. Cheap wood clamps are not too good. Battery chargers pretty good, except I misused one. I bought mail-order for years, just glad store opened up.
Greg

The posted web forum thread is from July 2010 and the news was old even then. There's been no indication that HF is going out of business, this is just a dispute between the company's founder (the father) and current operator (son)
The trade deficit with China is not large enough. Buy more stuff from China Harbor Freight. Leave your children with an even bigger trade deficit. When the US is totally owned by China, maybe your children can work in a China slave factory too.
http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/chinablue/film.html
No matter where you shop, look for that "Made in China" label. Your kids will thank you some day.

You always buy American? Everything? What appliances do you have in your house?
On 2/12/2012 12:03 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

LOL! I'm just going to charge all my China Freight purchases to my MasterCard Trade Deficit Card and send the bill to your soon-to-be unemployed kids. ROFLMAO!

I notice that you won't answer the question either.
On 2/12/2012 8:34 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I buy "Made in USA" whenever it's available. I NEVER buy anything from China Harbor Freight.

Srill no answer. Very instructive, hypocrite.
Juan Deere wrote:

We do have a trade deficit with China. But China has a similarly sized trade deficit with India. India has a trade deficit with the U.S.
It averages out.
Those who insist on buying U.S. made goods flunk the common sense test when their insistence is carried to the logical extreme. That is, if buying only U.S. products is good, buying only goods made in your state is better. If buying goods in your state is better, then buying the same goods made in your city is best.
Desired goods not made in your city? Oops!
On 2/12/2012 1:23 PM, HeyBub wrote:

WTF? Your logic leads me to believe you must be on Barney Frank's staff.
Jack Hammer wrote:

Well, it IS logic. Sorry about your thought processes.

What nonsense.
--Vic
On 2/9/2012 2:12 PM, Larry W wrote:

They keep opening new stores which is a strange way of going out of business.
However if you remember Crown Books, that chain was destroyed by a family dispute.
On Feb 9, 3:42am, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

Many of their machine tools are pretty crappy but HF has its place. I have bought quite a few smaller items, at lower prices, that served the purpose well. This out of business story has been floating around for some time.
RonB
snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote in news:a057j7hppgp9kksiq9nor9r61njcgt9lo4@ 4ax.com:

How did you grt that from the cited article?
As for their tools, I have purchased a significant number of hand and power tools, and I have never considered any to be junk. I understand the duty cycle of the tool when I buy it, and so far any failures have been rectified by HF WITHOUT QUESTION.
On Thursday, February 9, 2012 at 1:42:46 AM UTC-8, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

I WILL MISS HARBOR FREIGHT IT IS A BEST PLACE TO MY SHOPPING AND I WISH THEY COULD STAY IN BUISSNESS. I was shocked there going out of business. I'll miss them.

A reply to a 2012 post which refers to a thread from 2010. How long is this going out of business going to take?
There used to be the Cummins truck--essentially Harbor Freight on a tractor trailer. Haven't seen one around in several years.