1. Who ever heard of using linseed oil to clean a couch cushion? 2. Why would it combust from sitting outside in the cold winter?
The article is here: http://www.news8000.com/news/Cushion-combusts-causes-Medary-house-fire/-/326/8608380/-/9wwxa6/-/index.html
Cushion combusts, causes Medary house fire Published On: Feb 07 2012 01:46:04 PM CST Updated On: Feb 07 2012 07:19:02 PM CST
TOWN OF MEDARY, Wis. -- A couch cushion cleaned with linseed oil appears to have caused a house fire in the Town of Medary.
The Vance family made it out of their home on Smith Valley Road safely early Sunday morning, thanks to the help of cab driver Colin Winchell, who saw the fire as he was driving by and woke the family up.
Onalaska Fire Chief Don Dominick tells News 8 the family had cleaned the couch cushion used by the family pets with linseed oil, which has a tendency to combust due to its chemical makeup.
The cushion was placed outside the home to air out, and later ignited, causing the fire that damaged the home.
The family, who is staying at a hotel, lost two dogs and two cats in the fire. Firefighters rescued one cat from the home.