How to make a wooden lampshade

Video. Stick around to the end. The final result is, well, interesting:

HeyBub

I have to say that is pretty amazing. Well worth the 3 minutes or so to watch.

Reply to
Colbyt

Fascinating Too bad that you need to waste so much wood for a single shade.

Makes me wonder if it would not be possible to use a laser to cut multiple cylinders out of that piece, and then make a collection of shades of different diameters.

Also was the piece of wood green or dried ?

Reply to
Attila.Iskander

There was another really cool video that showed up after that one:

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

This is incredibly expensive, stupidly fragile, and a wood pattern could have been printed on a more standard shade easily.

Reply to
mike

He has another video wherein he makes a set of six toothpicks out of another block.

Reply to
HeyBub

Obviously, you are not a woodworker. You could not be more wrong. You can also buy lamp shades at Wal Mart.

Some day I may have a lathe and I'd like to make something like that As for expensive, the wood may have been free. I've had and burned many logs like that. The only cost is a penny or two for the electricity turning the lathe.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ed,

Before you read this. That is not bubble gum or tobacco in my cheek. It is my tongue.

How can you be so ungreen? A valuable firewood log was destroyed to satisfy one man's vanity!

A cheap Chinese made shade would have done the same job.

Can we filter out gmail posters?

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

I'm not ungreen at all. I firmly believe that materials no longer needed should be recycled or re purposed. The best lampshades are made by stretching foreskins over a used popsicle stick frame. They give the bulb a nice soft glow too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Did the cutter repurpose all the wood chips?

Reply to
hrhofmann

From the video we can't tell whether he wasted valuable energy or whether the lathe was pedel-powered. (Think of the poor people in darkest Africa!)

Some folks like to grouse before all the facts are in.

Reply to
HeyBub

The real waste was by me getting fascinated by all the U-tube vids and wasted 3 hours watching them last night when I could have been pedaling a bike to charge up a battery.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Sort of "Cut and Trade"?

Reply to
HeyBub

I'm not talking about the cost of the electricity. I'm talking about the cost of the hourly rate of a woodturner skilled enough to turn wood down to light-permeable thicknesses for hours on end! Stupid, stupid, stupid (the endeavor, not you).

The cost of the lathe would be a secondary issue. The cost of electricity is beside the point.

Reply to
mike

Yeah, I hear you. I had to quit fishing because the damn fish was so expensive. I couldn't afford my 'relaxing' pills and still eat fish that cost $500/lb once I figured in my hourly wage.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

A more apt analogy would be raising fish in a fish tank for months, rather than fishing or going to to store.

Making a lampshade on a lathe is a rectal tonsillectomy. It's going about things the very hard way.

Reply to
mike

You actually EAT the fish you catch? You actually CATCH fish when you go "fishing?"

I thought the purpose of a fishing trip was to drink beer!

Shows what I know.

Reply to
HeyBub

I repeat, you are obviously not a woodworker.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Aren't toothpicks made by turning trees in a lathe?

Reply to
krw

That would make AlBore smile.

Reply to