Harbor Freight going out of Business

It doesn't say they're going out of business, dude. Learn to read.

Reply to
Twayne

Yes. "Alsus in uno, falsus in omnibus," or false in one, false in all."

Reply to
HeyBub

The dollies are definitely cheaper than what I could build - better, too. As I get older, I like wheeled things better and better. I use them to store fileboxes in the attic so I can push them all "down one and out" easily when it's time to archive another year. Cheap enough to put lots of stuff "on wheels."

Every friend I've ever taken along to HF has gone back on their own. Sometimes on the very same day after playing with discounted toys like their weed-burner torch. Hard to beat a self-igniting torch like that for under $25. The sale prices are very low and the regular prices aren't hard to stomach if you need something that day. I've never seen a female customer in there, though. It's a guy place, for sure.

Most of what I've bought there has been quite serviceable for light duty use. Lots of tools you'd be very hard pressed to locate elsewhere like the propane torch.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Local HF stock level looks low. I asked a manager about ordering something in big volume.

he said he has no ability to order anything..how wierd

Reply to
bob haller

And thinks he can fool the rest of us when we know their tools are not junk. For example, I have never found finer sponge brushes. A delight to hold, a thrill to use, and a magnificence to own. I have several. Not even Purdy brushes come close (and Harbor Freight Sponge Brushes only cost about fifteen cents when purchased in a pack of a dozen).

Their only disadvantage is that I can't figure a way to bronze one.

Reply to
HeyBub

The posted web forum thread is from July 2010 and the news was old even then. There's been no indication that HF is going out of business, this is just a dispute between the company's founder (the father) and current operator (son)

Reply to
Larry W

Or an unhappy competitor

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Many of their machine tools are pretty crappy but HF has its place. I have bought quite a few smaller items, at lower prices, that served the purpose well. This out of business story has been floating around for some time.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

In a nearby town there's a furniture store that for at least the last ten years has been going out of business with signs posted everywhere and every spring starts sending out vagrants with signs advertising one last big sale before doors are closed for good.

Reply to
Mysterious Traveler

Probably all done by a computer at HQ. You'd think they could make exceptions though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I remember something about a city requiring any business advertizing a going out of business sale must buy a special license and declare a specific date that the store was closing and ending all business. There were hefty fines involved if it was false advertizing.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

The trade deficit with China is not large enough. Buy more stuff from China Harbor Freight. Leave your children with an even bigger trade deficit. When the US is totally owned by China, maybe your children can work in a China slave factory too.

No matter where you shop, look for that "Made in China" label. Your kids will thank you some day.

Reply to
Juan Deere

I thought I heard that 2 years ago, well, 19 months.

This webpage is one of the few that is dated. We're lucky. Most arent'.

Reply to
micky

snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote in news:a057j7hppgp9kksiq9nor9r61njcgt9lo4@

4ax.com:

How did you grt that from the cited article?

As for their tools, I have purchased a significant number of hand and power tools, and I have never considered any to be junk. I understand the duty cycle of the tool when I buy it, and so far any failures have been rectified by HF WITHOUT QUESTION.

Reply to
John Carter

I just looked through the latest catalog. There's not much in it that would appeal to her. Or many women. What do you suggest would be useful to her?

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

  • Sponge brushes (I love their sponge brushes) for applying foundation.
  • Her own personal tool-kit for piddly stuff like hanging a picture.
  • The free or almost free Chinese scissors.
  • Batteries.
  • Nitrile, or latex, gloves.
  • Collapsible step stool or similar.
  • Any toolbox with compartment for small things.
  • Furniture sliders
  • Bicycle lift.
  • Trunk organizer.
  • Flashlights.

Admittedly, none of the above are suitable for a Valentine's present. When browsing in a tool store, a man thinks of an item as "What can I use this for?" A woman picks up something simple, such as a torque wrench, and thinks "WTF would I EVER do with something like this."

Reply to
HeyBub

Ceramic kitchen knives?

.

Duct Tape

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Robert Green" wrote in news:jh2g81$7qo$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

My wife is a DIY'er, but she can ruin a good tool in no time at all. I have bought her HF tools - screwdrivers, ploiers, etc so that mine do not get damaged by mis-use (screwdriver for a pry bar, etc)

I also keep HF tools around as loaners to neighbors who have also shown in the past they don't know the correct use of hand tools and a few power tools as well. I keep them in a tool box that is easily seen when one enters my garage. I call it my loaner box.

John C.

Reply to
John Carter

They keep opening new stores which is a strange way of going out of business.

However if you remember Crown Books, that chain was destroyed by a family dispute.

Reply to
sms88

You always buy American? Everything? What appliances do you have in your house?

Reply to
krw