Harbor Freight going out of Business

I thought I heard that 2 years ago, well, 19 months.
This webpage is one of the few that is dated. We're lucky. Most arent'.
snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

All I read was that their fine, robust, and workmanlike tools would probably get cheaper inasmuch as "looting" of the company was halted.
As a small example, a 1/8" hex wrench (nee Allen wrench), bought from Lowe's, SNAPPED in my hand. That's right, it BROKE in two. I have used hex wrenches for many decades and never had one break. Bend? Sure, Twist? It's happened. But never just disintegrate!
I retrieved my Harbor Freight set of hex wrenches from the car's tool kit and finished my job. Outstanding!
Oh, by the way, the screw at issue was a WOOD SCREW. It wasn't like it was rusted or corroded in place and no "cheater" was necessary.
Bottom line: The house-brand toole (Taskforce) sold by Lowe's was junk but the economy set ($4.95) from Harbor Freight met the challenge.
Thanks for the field report. Bet that torques you off?
All I read was that their fine, robust, and workmanlike tools would probably get cheaper inasmuch as "looting" of the company was halted.
As a small example, a 1/8" hex wrench (nee Allen wrench), bought from Lowe's, SNAPPED in my hand. That's right, it BROKE in two. I have used hex wrenches for many decades and never had one break. Bend? Sure, Twist? It's happened. But never just disintegrate!
I retrieved my Harbor Freight set of hex wrenches from the car's tool kit and finished my job. Outstanding!
Oh, by the way, the screw at issue was a WOOD SCREW. It wasn't like it was rusted or corroded in place and no "cheater" was necessary.
Bottom line: The house-brand toole (Taskforce) sold by Lowe's was junk but the economy set ($4.95) from Harbor Freight met the challenge.

I thought Lowes house brand was Kobalt?
It's all about QC, you need the correct heat treatment on the steel or it will either be too soft or too hard. Maybe your tool missed the tempering step and ended up extra hard and brittle.
Remove 333 to reply. Randy

It is.
"Taskforce" is Lowe's low-end tool line.

The women love it when my tool gets extra hard!!!!
Bob F wrote:

Yes. "Alsus in uno, falsus in omnibus," or false in one, false in all."
Local HF stock level looks low. I asked a manager about ordering something in big volume.
he said he has no ability to order anything..how wierd

Probably all done by a computer at HQ. You'd think they could make exceptions though.
Clearance sale, 20% off?
Harbor Freight going out of Business. http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t &037
Not that it's any real loss, since their tools were mostly all junk anyhow!
snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

You post a 18 month old story that's obviously not true?

someone with a grudge against HF.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

And thinks he can fool the rest of us when we know their tools are not junk. For example, I have never found finer sponge brushes. A delight to hold, a thrill to use, and a magnificence to own. I have several. Not even Purdy brushes come close (and Harbor Freight Sponge Brushes only cost about fifteen cents when purchased in a pack of a dozen).
Their only disadvantage is that I can't figure a way to bronze one.

They may be opening new stores, but some of what's contained in the article, if true, suggests there could be trouble ahead. It claims the son has highly leveraged the company, taking money out of the company to buy Marvin Davis' estate, NYC apartments, $100mil painting, etc. It wouldn't be the first company to go out of business at some point because of similar practices. And from experience, when that kind of thing is going on, there is often more that you don't know about, like fooling with the books...
On 2/9/2012 8:36 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I'll agree with you there. I worked for a small family business decades ago where, as soon as the son took over, the high living and looting began. He expanded the operation, got into new areas the family business had never been in before, opened multiple new stores. He bought himself a new house, new cars and other toys, long vacations, basically never showed up to work. Result: a few years later all the new stores were closing, wholesalers were repossessing their unpaid merchandise right off the stores' shelves, and finally the bankers called father and son into a meeting where they were told, no more loan extensions, no more second/third/fourth chances, they were shutting us down. If it hadn't been for their real estate agent bursting into the meeting with the news that one of the store locations had found a buyer, that would've been it. As it was, the bank agreed to take the proceeds of the sale and give us more time. The father and I worked nonstop to bring the business back from the brink of bankruptcy, while his son continued his playboy lifestyle. I was supposed to take over the father's part of the operations when he eventually retired (again). Instead, they decided to hire the son's no-good son (whose criminal record kept him from finding a job anywhere else) to take his grandpa's position, and keep me as his assistant. I quit.
snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote in

Apparently you managed to miss the fact that both the post, and the article it refers to, are from July 2010.
On Feb 9, 4:42am, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

First off that's not an article, and second off it happened in 2010.
In typed:

It doesn't say they're going out of business, dude. Learn to read.

The dollies are definitely cheaper than what I could build - better, too. As I get older, I like wheeled things better and better. I use them to store fileboxes in the attic so I can push them all "down one and out" easily when it's time to archive another year. Cheap enough to put lots of stuff "on wheels."
Every friend I've ever taken along to HF has gone back on their own. Sometimes on the very same day after playing with discounted toys like their weed-burner torch. Hard to beat a self-igniting torch like that for under $25. The sale prices are very low and the regular prices aren't hard to stomach if you need something that day. I've never seen a female customer in there, though. It's a guy place, for sure.
Most of what I've bought there has been quite serviceable for light duty use. Lots of tools you'd be very hard pressed to locate elsewhere like the propane torch.
-- Bobby G.

I just looked through the latest catalog. There's not much in it that would appeal to her. Or many women. What do you suggest would be useful to her?
-- Bobby G.