Harbor Freight Sewing Machine Any Good?

I am wonder whether anyone has use or bought the Harbor Freight single Needle Industrial sewing machine?

Your comment and opinion deeply appreciate.

Reply to
Simon

I'm also wondering about this one... It seems like a STEAL at $245 compared to even a used Juki or other industrial machine.

Any comments?

-Dan

Reply to
Daniel Abranko

All I can suggest is Harbor Freight sells a lot of junk. It may also sell some good stuff.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I bought their 18-gauge brads nailer for $19 it serves my need as an occasional monthly user. It may cost more than $100 for another made. So why pay more than what you need to pay? I bought their clamps, DC welder, floor drill and many others, cheap and good tools. Their set of 6 hole saws cost only $2 in a plastic box. You can't even buy the box for $4 here!

Did you know during and after Mao's time, the Chinese survive the long hash winters with only thickest plain cotton clothing and the barest essential? Therefore, their machines/tools maybe crude and un-refine, but they will last. I am only wondering if this sewing machine will be like their brads nailer.

Reply to
Simon

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 11:40:14 GMT, "Joseph Meehan" scribbled this interesting note:

Yes, HF sells a lot of poorly made products. They also sell some fairly decent stuff. The trick is learning to differentiate the two!:~)

John Willis

I own three industrial sewing machines, two domestics, and three specialty machines: they get used hard, and the best piece of advice I can give for sewing machines is that "You get what you pay for." A used ~ USED ~ Brother B550 straight stitch machine won't sell for less that $1000 unless it needs repairs. Juki's can be had for $800 or so.

Yeah, the $245 machine is a steal, but me personally? Is Harbor Freight going to service it if it breaks? Warrant it for repairs? I'm spoiled by my own dealer who knows me by name, asks after my family, and can rattle off the names, models and service history of each of my machines.

- Wm

Reply to
William Morris

Yeah, that's why I ask for advice here. I am a fairly selective buyer and have been cheated far too often, including Sears. Thanks for your advice.

Reply to
Simon

Thanks William, appreciate your advice. Shall I throw away $245? I have been lucky most of the time with HF. Take for example, their clamps sell for 1/4 less then most of the major well-known brands and some even buy from the same sources and marked up 200 to 300%!

I am also toying with a used Juki or Brother or maybe a Toyota, where to look for a good used decent ones?

Thanks you again.

Reply to
Simon

Do they have a retail store anywhere near you? It helps if you can look at the item first. So far I've been lucky that all the stuff I buy there has been good, but then again, anything I buy from them is for infrequent use. If you are going to use it a lot, look elsewhere.

Reply to
Childfree Scott

scott snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com (Childfree Scott) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

I've bought a lot of stuff from HF and while I wouldn't build a house with what they sell, it's good for occasional use. I figure if I use the tool enough to wear it out or break it, I use it enough to buy a better brand as a replacement. I've found some of their tools are available in discount/overstock stores under different brand names. Probably use the same importer and put on their own brand name--Chicago Tool is same as Shop Source, etc. HF gives their phone number as a source of replacement parts, but I've never tried it; as far as service/repair, you're on your own.

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
(none)

I've seen mixed reviews on HF products. From OK to junk.

Are you looking at doing serious sewing as a hobby or you just need to put on a patch twice a year? You can be sure it will not compete with a $1500 Viking, but for two patches and one hem a year, it may be a good buy. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

I've got a 1924 31-15 Singer that I've just worked to death. I also have a Brother machine that's seen similar use. I've worked with Juki and like them okay, but the Brother works a little smoother.

Take a look in your local yellow pages under "Sewing Machines." Odds are there's a dealer in your town that handles commercial machines, new and used. I tend to shop where there's service staff on site - if they have to send it out to be worked on, don't bother.

- Wm

Reply to
William Morris

Consider that a sewing machine is a complicated precision machine, compared to a clamp.

I would highly recommend that you ask at news:alt.sewing and/or news:rec.crafts.textiles.sewing for where to find a good industrial machine. They are nice people there, and they also have a FAQ on what to look for when you buy a sewing machine.

Reply to
Melinda Meahan - take out TRAS