Msg from Harbor Freight

The following msg came in today in reply to my inquiry of May 28th:

"Your order shipped on 5/25/04. Please allow 14 business days for delivery."

I realize it is a long way from HF in California to Alabama, but I wonder by which method my order will come. A slow pony express? Perhaps by mule train. Oh well, it was my first and last order to them. I just hope it arrives unbroken.

Hoyt W.

Reply to
Hoyt Weathers

You'll probably get it sooner than they promised, but you whine too much to deserve it.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Singleton

I've had UPS orders just sit in a warehouse for a few days waiting for their turn in a truck. Why? Because I didn't want to pay for higher priority shipping. HF may *guarantee* it's there in 14 days or less, doesn't mean it *will* take all 14 days. One company I order from, same priority shipping, arrives the next morning. It depends on what else is going that way.

All shipping companies are that way. If you want a faster guaranteed delivery date, pay for it.

Of course, you should be able to get tracking information from HF so you can find out where your order is and the ETA for it from the shipping company.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

The absolute SLOWEST delivery method by UPS is UPS Ground and it is GUARANTEED in 5 business days. The 14 business day thing by HF is complete bullshit. I agree with someone else that surmised they're living off the float or simply taking advantage of it.

Reply to
Bruce

you don't ship much with UPS do you?

Reply to
^Halibut^

HF has a depot on the east coast(NC??). If your stuff is shipped from there, it will arrive sooner. I have had orders from them arrive in NJ as soon as 4 days and as late as 17 days. The early arrivals were all from the east coast location.

Tim

Reply to
The Guy

I had some of their stuff from CA to NJ come via USPS Parcel Post...and that is really slow.

Tim

Reply to
The Guy

I wish someday someone would invent a way to ship packages via e-mail :-) Joe

Reply to
KB8QLR

I've shipped a dozen or so things. Would you care to dispute what I stated with something other than a smart remark?

Reply to
Bruce

They never stated the SOONEST you'll get it. They simply stated the LONGEST time it will take to arrive.

Build somethin' while yer waitin'. The time will pass quickly.

Have a nice week...

Trent©

Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !

Reply to
Trent©

Not too many years ago, some quack selling 'homeopathic' medicines _did_ that.

He'd sell this 'cable' that you plugged into the serial port (I think it was) of the computer, and wrapped the other end around a bottle of plain water, and downloaded the file. Voila! magic medicine.

The 'deceptive trade' people couldn't touch him on it -- analytical labs showed the the 'electronically delivered' medicine was _exactly_ the same as what was being sold in the traditional packaging.

He did go down on some other charges, eventually.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

If you don't get it in 5 days, what do you get with the guarantee?

UPS is pretty good. Actually, I'm really pleased with their service.

But, years ago, I did wait over 10 days...for an overnight delivery to get to me! Actually, it was fun. I was tracking it every day...and it was fun to see where it had been. Ironically, no one could stop it in its tracks! lol

I had the customer (really EAGER customer, of course!) stop over each morning...and we'd drink coffee and watch its movement together!

Have a nice week...

Trent©

Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !

Reply to
Trent©

Their 5 day deal is only to a business address, the Home delivery has no delivery date guarantee

William wacworkshope.com

Reply to
William

What I heard they do to save shipping cost, is accumulate a trailer load of shipments to, say, the mid-atlantic region, then send the trailer to some warehouse operation in that area, where the individual orders are mailed/UPSed or whatever to their final destinations. That way they get a good rate for the cross-country part of the shipping charges

They will ship by a faster method if you wish to pay for it.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

This thread is getting ridiculous . . .

If you want something NOW go to a local shop, forget about YOUR time & transport, pay maybe 4 times as much for the same item, plus local taxes.

If you want to be 'economical' {or CHEAP, like I am !!}think ahead & do some research. We get the HF 'catalogs' about every week - at least it seems like it. I'll browse them all. Most get thrown away, but I pay special attention to the ones with '50% Off Specials', Free Shipping, and '$5.oo Off with order' covers. Those usually get 'marked' and put aside.

About once every 3 months or so, I make up an order of the $2, $5, & $10 items that totals the amount for 'Free Shipping'. The $5.oo 'coupon' covers most of the $5.95 Handling charge {used to be $3.50 - and just who do you think picks & packs the order, and processes the paperwork ? Brownies - who live under the stairs and work for a saucer of milk ?}.

I REFUSE all their offers of faster {read 'More Expensive'} shipping and only want their 'standard' 7 to 14 business day service. {which I know is for 'contingencies'. The same way that the $40 'rebate' for the office chair I'm sitting in said ". . . allow 6-8 weeks for processing". If they didn't, some one with a lot of time on their hands would be on the phone in 48-hours threatening to sue because they didn't receive their money}.

I have ordered from Harbor Freight for years. It is mostly cheap stuff from China and India, I know what to expect, and it ISN'T 'high precision'. But if I need something to last for only one or two uses, or as a 'template' for me to build a better model . . . that's fine. It's also just fine for me to buy 36 throw-away 'acid brushes' at $2.49, or 2 large squeegees at $2.99, latex gloves at $2.99/100 {which I get 6 boxes at a time}. I' ll continue to grab their 'loss leaders' {like 7 inch wooden clamps from China for $2.99 each . . . look the same as Jorgensen/Pony to me . . .}and be just as satisfied as you, 'rich guys'.

The wood I work with and boats I build doesn't seem to know the difference.

Regards & Good Luck, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop {Care to see the Mahogany plaque I made for the Red Dragon, or the Memorial Flag Case I gave Joanne ??}

"Hoyt Weathers" wrote . . . SNIP it was my first and last order to them. . . .

Reply to
Ron Magen

Ron Magen notes:

Try some nitrile gloves, Ron. Much sturdier, resist more solvents more strongly, not measurably more costly because of that, and don't set of latex allergies.

Charlie Self "The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in the exercise of his mind." Jacques Barzun

Reply to
Charlie Self

I second that. Just was cleaning up something with lacquer thinner, and wished for latex, since the nitrile pretty much dissolved, but otherwise, they seem much tougher, without being thicker or losing any more "touch".

Reply to
alexy

I don't know about their guarantee but I have shipped with UPS ground = and one item took 14 days to get within the lower 48 and another took 9. = So your 5 day statement is either wrong or abused. Puff

Reply to
Puff Griffis

Hi, What is it that you ordered. Was it something big enough or heavy enough that UPS would not handle it and thus is coming via motor freight?

Thanks Roger

Hoyt Weathers wrote:

Reply to
Roger Haar