BEWARE: Harbor Freight poor customer service...

Wanta bet? That's the way it is supposed to be, but if you pay off all but the contested charge, they will charge interest on the contested charge, and then the next month when you don't pay it, they will charge a late fee and interest, etc. You should get it back, but in the mean time your credit rating goes down and the interest rate increases. And you may not get it back and sure as hell the credit rating and the interest rate won't change back. In my case, one of the personnel flatly told me that I would not get the interest and the late charges reversed.

But enough of this, that's my story. Others may have had better responses from their credit card company. I no longer trust a credit card. I use to also trust the legal system until I sat in a traffic court (and other small legal wrangles) for several hours on different days. What I saw of the various judges, lying to and misleading defendants about what they (the judge) might do, ruined whatever faith I ever had in the courts. And of course the county public defenders, were no help at all to the defendant. BTW, I'm talking about cases where the defendant may have done something illegal but very minor and was no threat to anyone except maybe some policeman(woman)'s macho image. Oh, well, better leave that one alone.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

So? If you have a disputed charge -- pay the full amount to the CC company, the amount is still in dispute and should you prevail, you will have a credit. If the adjudication crosses billing periods, you will not have to worry about interest or late charges, and if your case is refused, you won't have late charges or interest added to your account as you would if you had not paid the amount.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I had the opposite experience. I ordered a bunch of stuff. Two items were missing from the order. I called them up, was on hold less time than expected, and told the person the missing items. They arrived a few days later.

Now that a new HF store has opened between my home & church on many Sundays I drop in on the way home from church. ;-)

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Right that is what I did. The only problem is when you need an item right away, you pay for the one in dispute and buy another. In my case that meant making a check out twice for about $2,000. I had the money so it wasn't a big problem that I didn't get all of my original $2000 back for 3 months. For someone on tight finances it could be difficult.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

... snip

Agreed. The only plus side is that this means of payment at least provides a mechanism for getting one's money back. Paying by check or other means to such a company and you've got nothing.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Either you need a new credit card provider, you're not in the US, or there is more to this story.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

No, that's the way it is, by law (US Fair Credit Act). But only if you make the complaint and follow up according to the rules are they obliged.

Here's a link to a summary of the provisions of the Act...

Duane Bozarth

Umm, No. We are not talking about a fly by night company. If I had paid by check it would have been easy, I would have simply canceled the check at a cost of $7.00. My case is a bit unusual. I had to buy the item (meaning charged on my card) before Jan 1 to deduct the cost on my income tax. I tried to get Dell to simply bill it before Jan 1 but I didn't really care about the delivery time, but they wouldn't bill until shipped. I kept getting a later and later shipping date. When I got a notice of delivery in the middle of January, I canceled the Dell order and ordered from Gateway because they agreed to bill my card immediately and they did. Unfortunately, Dell delivered the stuff 3 days later (about December 21) after I had canceled it so I refused delivery. Of course their biggest screw up was sending me a message that delivery be very delayed when it was already shipped.

If they had communications among their various departments, all would have been well, but obviously the shipping, billing, and sales departments didn't communicate. As it was, the three boxes went back immediately, but the real hangup was that at their shipping dock, they immediately rerouted a $500 monitor to another customer and it was delivered. All that info was fully available on the shipping routing through the Internet, but Dell couldn't find it and then they couldn't credit it correctly to me, etc., etc. I think you call it incompetent cooperation.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Correction. Check pricewatch.com Newegg has good prices but they are higher than most of their on-line competitors. They also have MUCH better service than many of the others and they are well worth every penny they charge, but they are not in the "harbor Freight" category pricewise.

Check resellerratings.com and you will see the difference.

Reply to
NoSpam99989

I have had packages that said on them signature required left by UPS on my porch. I am almost always home and often UPS will leave packages on the porch without even ringing the door bell.

Reply to
Daniel Prince

I have had packages that said on them signature required left by UPS on my porch. I am almost always home and often UPS will leave packages on the porch without even ringing the door bell.

Reply to
Daniel Prince

Same here. It has happened too many times to me. I've long since given up on UPS, even for my business. All of my suppliers are told not to ship via UPS, and any outgoing deliveries are sent via other couriers.

Reply to
mp

I am GLAD they leave the packages on my porch! You know how much of a pain in the ass it is to come home and find a slip telling you that "We attempted to make a delivery" and then you have to haul ass 30 minutes away to try and pick up the package before the place closes?

Reply to
Red Neckerson

I bought a PVC 1/4" air line from HF. It lasted 6 minutes before it ruptured at about 100 PSI. What a POS product.

Ignoramus1946

So do I, but they (as well as the others) are instructed (and we keep same drivers pretty well, fortunately) to leave stuff in the shop, not out in the open. On the farm, I don't worry much...in town I'd not even think of it.

It's a lot less pita to go get or have them deliver at another time than it is to follow-up on a stolen delivery...

I guess it's a calculated risk by UPS on whether it's cheaper in the long run to lose a few as compared to keeping drivers on schedule...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Red Neckerson wrote: ...

I know...many places of which I'm aware, including a significant part of town here, I'd never expect anything to last 10 minutes on a doorstep---too many sticky-fingered kids and transients...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I WAS talking about home delivery. I do not think I'd want them just to leave a package sitting outside the door at my place of business.....

Reply to
Red Neckerson

On 1/16/2005 10:40 AM US(ET), Red Neckerson took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

They are usually more service oriented towards businesses, especially if you have a good looking secretary or receptionist that they can chat with for a few minutes.

Reply to
willshak

You know, someone needed to change this topic to UPS POOR SERVICE, as this definitely is NOT a HF issue, but instead is a UPS issue

John

Reply to
John

Let's stop beating up on Harbor Freight. I think it's the shippers fault. If they left it on your door step it sounds like it was shipped.I think enough has been said. GT

Reply to
Fishn2much