Subject Author Posted Replies

Trains redux
Seeing the separate thread drifting towards trains reminded me of this. It's very nice, but rather pricy. Wonder how much it would cost to build one? Calling All StationsĀ is delighted to announce...
7
7

OT: [DIY] Shower Pump and WC cistern
Sorry to interrupt all the Brexit discussions but there may be one or two here who can answer a DIY related question. Scenario: One bedroom flat with cold water tank and hot water cylinder in the flat...
13
13

Moronic woman wants everyone else to suffer for her own stupidity
I just got asked to sign a petition requiring everybody to install a lockable fence around their garden pond incase their child (or someone else's) falls into it. The reason? Her own 2 year old fell...
40
40

OT: No Austerity in the BBC!
I noticed the way they've tried to shift the focus of attention away from the overall *astronomical* salaries they shower on their "talents" (out of OUR hard-earned money of course) and into a...
182
182

Knackered lens iris motor
Extracted from an old Pentax CCTV lens, the tiny 12v motor+gearbox that rotates the aperture ring. The output shaft, 1.8mm dia. is jammed, but it does rotate a few degrees by hand either way. It...
11
11

Interface 240v to 5v / clean contact ?
HI All As part of my glass fusing kiln project, I've a need for my Raspberry Pi to 'know' when one of the big, 240v-operated contactors has pulled in. (It's a 'safety' sp/no contactor, with the...
42
42

ep3000 programmer not working on water
Hi I have just had boielr replaced also not potterton but i kept my programmer as i have not probs with it simple to operate.i have ended up with a system boiler and the engineer disconnected one tank...

OT: Labour Election Fraud (they're at it again!)
Looks like JC got an unfair boost from the students he bribed to vote for him: latest-pm-election/ So enthusiastic they voted for him more than once!...
2
2

Online banking OT
At least it is not political! 2nd. attempt! Local storm took out the power and now a couple of brown outs where the PSU kept the computer going! NatWest push Trusteer Rapport security software when...
42
42

Economical descaler?
I've just made a hay steamer for my livery yard (OK its a wheelie bin connected to an Earlex walpaper steamer). They will be boiling five litres a day so I expect it will scale up fairly quickly...
29
29

repairing plasterboard
I own a flat that tenants have made a bit of a mess of. The stud walls are covered with 12.5mm plasterboard which has been directly painted - no plaster skim coat. One of the sockets has been ripped...
6
6

CCT and spiders webs
We have some CCTV cameras in the garden record the doings of local wildlife overnight.I looked at some of the video today and found 2 cameras virtually unviewable due to spiders webs. They seem to...
5
5

Cutting concertina plastic door
bout 3-4 cm to come off. Unfortunately, it seems to have metal rods running through it. Best way to do? Thinking dremel.... Or tin snips maybe for the plastic?
3
3

Decent make of 1/4 turn lever taps?
Hi, I've had some taps from an online retailer (proper bathroom fittings vendor, not some misc junk shifter) and I'm not happy with them... I've had splines work loose (too fine), a cartridge fail and...
14
14

Digital Meter
I got involved with someone who was wiring a external LED Floodlight into some old wiring. The light didn't work and from a brief tracing of the cable back to the switch I suspect it has 2 lives....
82
82