OT: London Hotel fire

Quote from a not-too reliable source (DM)
"He said the builders on the roof had been cutting materials and doing other work during the day. "
Eh-oh, those pesky angle grinder sparks again !, or was someone applying torch-on felt ?. This might explain all the black smoke.
Will 'managers' ever learn that when working on an old building especially when using soldering kit or angle grinders that a fire marshall with a suitable extinguisher should always be present at the immediate vicinity of the work.
You'd think after Uppark House went up in flames in 1989 they would have learnt their mistake, but no, it seems not.

That should be something the fuckwits doing the work should have done.
And you don’t need a fire marshall either, just someone who knows how to use a fire extinguisher.

Unlikely to be the same people involved.
No the factory I used to work at was destroyed by a guy with a cutting torch as I understand it, so why should one think the lessons will be learned. If I had a tenner for every time I hear lessons will be learned is uttered to do with one disaster or another that could have been prevented, I'd be living in Bermuda with a staff of several by now. Lessons are never learned because people think they know how to put out small fires. Brian
--
----- -

Similar fire in Derby earlier in the week.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/derby-news/exclusive-video-pictures- show-devastating-1643910
What about those holes in the joists?