Glue to fix plastic spatula head to metal arm?

I've got some really nice tongs for use with the frying pan - springy metal (steel?) handle with two small spatula style plastic ends.

Just noted that they are currently unavailable. :-(

Anyway, the weakness is that the nylon heads are held onto the stainless steel on one side by a small plastic "rivet" which goes into the steel.

This has a tendency to fall out after a couple of years.

I'm looking for something to fill in the hole to replace the missing plug of nylon which is dishwasher safe and cooking safe.

Hot glue stick was my first thought. Initial search suggest that it melts at 120 C which is fine for a dishwasher, probably O.K. for a frying pan as the top of the "clasping plates" (Amazon description) should be well away from the main heat and protected by the SS as a heat sink.

However dipping them in boiling water, for example, to fish out vegetables is going to get quite close to the 120 C melting point.

Any other products the team can suggest?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Replace the plastic rivet with a proper pop rivet? (drilling out the hole a bit first if required)

Reply to
John Rumm

Their expansion breaks plastics, otherwise I'd suggest that too. A simple ss nut & bolt would work, picking large head ones. Without food-safe glue it would need tightening now & then, or a nylock nut.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I recently did some experiments with hot melt glue, a fan, a thermal camera and a cup of tea (don't ask). The conclusion was that the phase transition of that hot glue is about 70C, at which point it goes from rubbery to runny enough to not be a useful mechanical support.

Therefore I wouldn't use it for anything much above room temperature.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I'm pretty sure hot melt glue is hydroscopic.

A small metal rivet should be OK. I doubt they will get hot enough in normal use for the difference in expansion to be a problem- the nylon would melt first.

The next question is which metal to be food safe. There have been scares re aluminium but the exposure would be limited. Copper is an option.

To do a neat job, you'd ideally use some 'rivet sets'. You could perhaps make a pair for a one off job from some steal. Drill a 'dimple' in them to form the head.

Reply to
Brian Reay

I do have misgivings about the hygiene of composite materials made for cooking as some food inevitably gets under the plastic bits and is difficult to get out. I guess some form of small nut and bolt might allow disassembly for cleaning. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

But was it low temperature or high temperature hot glue?

Reply to
Rob Morley

eBay item number: 272551234265

But if the recess has a reasonable surface area and you can pull the 'hands' off, I'd use silicone sealant.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur