Bonding metal to plastic

I have a plastic item that has cracked, I used `plastic weld` to glue the plastic, I suspect that will eventually fail so want to strengthen with a metal plate (stainless steel) the size of the patch is approx 6 x

4 Cms

One option is pop rivets but I dont have enough clearance so was thinking of using some sort of epoxy.

Anyone got thoughts on what would be a strong bond. There will be some small vertical pressure but not a lot.

ss

Depending on the plastic it may be better to bond a thicker similar plastic using dichloromethane (methylene chloride)if it is a plastic that it is a solvent for.

Reply to
FMurtz

Its not the greatest bond but car body filler or chemical metal (tow part polyetser resins with filler) will bond to roughened metal well and roughened plastic a bit. That plastic looks like it is NOT an olefin (polythene etc.) which is good news.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Bad idea. A crack may well appear in plastic at the edge of the metal. Supposing it sticks.(Stress concentration) You need another bit of plastic with the edges tapered down. An a suitable solvent glue for that plastic.

Reply to
harry

pop rivets are the worst thing you could use on plastic.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Is there an echo in here?

Reply to
FMurtz

A mate of mine was raving about Screwfix Nemesis the other day (it's a sort of aerosol "EvoStik", so not a gap filler). I have used it to stick flexible (EPDM?) foam to polypropylene.

Reply to
newshound