Copper Immersion tank leaking tonight

I was tightening the nut to the bottom flange of my old copper immersion tank when a tiny fountain of water appeared.

I'm draining it now.

Can it be mended tomorrow? How?

(There's a really good plumbers in Bromyard, they sell 3/4 inch olives, hemp string etc.)

Can I mend it or do I have to buy another?

The tank has 4 connections, cold in, rayburn in and out, hot out.

I can't light the rayburn without the water connected or its water tank may crack.

George

Reply to
George Miles

Accessible? Spot of solder?

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Depends where the leak is, how old the tank is too, as if there is one dodgy bit, there could be many. I would definitely plan for the worst myself. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It will be accessible when i've drained it and unbolted the 4 pipes.

I have an electric solder iron and a little gas burner, but wouldnt the whole copper cylinder have to be heated up somehow?

[g]
Reply to
George Miles

I repeat my advice from the 10th of May

Reply to
Andy Burns

George Miles pretended :

It will need a decent blow lamp, at the very least - the mass of the copper will draw heat away from where you are trying to solder, quite rapidly.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Reply to
George Miles

No, just around the (scrupulously clean) pinhole.

First, See if there'a hole in the tank, or if it's leakign around something:

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

With a similar problem I ended up buying a new tank with 2" of foam cover. As a result of being in a hard water area there was much crud in the old tank. It was impossible to remove the immersion heater even after the tank had been removed. I was able to sell it for scrap.

Reply to
Michael Chare

That's the exact video I looked at 2 nights ago, dereton33 I bought hemp string from Bromyard, fixed the flange , but then the hole appeared on the other side!

I've removed the tank and am taking it into Bromyard tomorrow for advice, might get the hole brazed or soldered, might have to get another tank..

George

Reply to
George Miles

People have been soldering copper sheet with a heavy soldering irons for eons with no problems

Reply to
FMurtz

If there's a pinhole in the copper, it's very likely there's more incipient ones. Make a temporary repair & replace the tank later.

Even a small leak can do a lot of damage if not noticed.

Reply to
harry

heavy, yes. If it's an iron for electronics forget it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Likely to be a tough thing to solder IMHO, but I have used the "plumbers" epoxy putty very successfully on this sort of thing in the past.

Reply to
newshound

Yes, when you have got good access and are able to clean it with an acid flux. Don't really have enough info on the story to judge. I'm guessing that it might not be that easy to take out in order to work on it in good light, and in a favourable orientation.

Reply to
newshound

+1
Reply to
newshound

If the copper cylinder has white spots on it {?} these are potential leaks caused by electrolyses - brass to copper. Probably spelt wrong.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I was unscrewing my old immersion heater to replace it, and succeeded in ripping the surrounding copper of the tank. I had no idea the copper was so thin. I had some small printed circuit RF coils with copper housings, and I was able to cut these up to make small copper pieces which I soldered over the holes in the cylinder. I had to buy a more powerful blowlamp to get the cylinder hot enough.

Reply to
Dave W

<me too>

Our tank was ageing, uninsulated, and obviously scaled up from the way the boiler kept cycling when trying to heat water. With the new boiler and some new rads I had them replace it too.

It leaked when they moved it.

When I leaned it over (outside) to look inside the bottom fell off...

Replace it.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris