Subject Author Posted Replies

Disabling speaker-muting in headphone jack?
Can it be easily done? I don't know how those sockets work, but here's my issue... I have a pair of panel speakers in my shower which were driven by a built- in radio/amp which has long since expired....
10
10

Cooker control knob - quick question about tightening up
In message , David writes Could you create a burr on the shaft? Probably difficult if the shaft is still attached to the cooker. Loctite make something that is designed to stick, but not be completely...
14
14

TV Aerial Cable
The "drip loop" at the bottom of my mast shows signs of having been attacked by birds or sunlight and I need a new cable. Am I safe to assume that putting some of that spiral cable tidy type stuff...
4
4

Any recommendations for a roofer in N London please
I can obviously look on the review sites, but I wondered whether anyone can recommend any roofers, please? N London.
2
2

Plastic heating oil tank ruptured 2 days after fill up and very hot weather.
A few weeks ago we had a scheduled heating oil delivery to fill our tank, 2 days later I could smell fuel and saw dripping oil. The oil delivery company came very quickly and arranged another company...
3
3

Planners
Have you noticed, the most attractive towns/parts of towns are unplannned? Places like Shrewsbury, Oxford etc.
23
23

Rainwater diversion
Those of you with good memories might recall I am diverting the rainwater off the roof of my workshop into the pond, which dries up in the summer. I diverted the guttering downspouts into a 200 litre...
3
3

Gas Boiler hot water fail after service - conspiracy?
My boiler was serviced less than a month ago. No hot water though the combi boiler CH works, and also running the HW with CH off results in radiators warming up. Now coupled with my recent car...
3
3

Measuring glass.
I have a wood Victorian front door. At some time, the top panels were changed to glass - and that horrible ribbed stuff. The top of the panel is a semi-circle. I'm going to change them to 'etched'...
22
22

Full bore isolation valves 15mm
I've finally taken the side off the bath to have a look at the pipework to the shower. There is some kind of slow flow issue on the hot side and my first thought that I might not have fitted a full...
3
3

Drilling a hacksaw blade
How easy would it be to drill through a hacksaw blade? Reason: I have a hand B&Q mitre saw the blades (350mm) are now unavailable. The nearest I can find are hacksaw blades, not ideal as saw is used...
22
22

OT Global warming.
Of interest to some here. By Andy May Javier has posted three new essays on the Bray climate and solar cycle on Judith Curry's web site. Part A is here, part B is here and Part C is here. In these...
2
2

Hot tar crack filler
My house is a conversion of a cow barn, as a result of which I have a very large concrete yard made up of about 30 sections, each about 3 metres square. The joints between them are full of weeds. I'd...
27
27

Blocking after 9 years
We moved in in 2009 and most doors were sticky. They still are. A Best way to cure blocking after this long?
5
5

Sticking Swish Sologlyde curtain rail
I have been using this make for years but now I have the same problem. They changed the design of the hooks in recent years from rounded edges to square edges which is causing the hooks to stick on...
3
3