Hose reels

I recently replaced our ageing 30M hose reel with a Hozelock. It fell to pieces within minutes of fixing to the wall.

Can anyone recommend one which I can fix to the wall so that the 'axle' is perpendicular to the wall, will hold 30M of hose, and which will last longer than a choc ice outdoors in this weather?

The axle is parallel to the wall, but I have had a Wilko hose reel with

30M hose for at least the last three years. It is still going strong.

Note: you have to put the right bit of frame in to the wall brackets or it just falls apart.

Reply to
Old Codger

Thanks. I had seen that but it will stick out too far.

Well if its that bad then send it back. I do not currently have a hose, but mine lasted 20 years. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Stop faffing about with a reel and just "figure of eight" it on the ground. Couple of releasable cable ties through the loops to keep it in shape when moving it or WHY.

That's what I do with the hoses here a 50m one and what probably was a 30m before bits found other uses.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've got one of these:

The first one lasted 5 years. Its replacement is identical, but had a leak from where the end of the hose connects to the centre of the hose reel. Well, it was actually the thread of the part which screws on being slightly too big for the thread on the axle. No amount of tightening (even with an extra washer) stopped the leak. The solution was to use some Plumbers Mait, and it leaks no more.

One minor annoying point is that the hose will often get caught on the nut holding the handle on. Other than that, it has been fine. But do read the reviews first, as some aren't too happy.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

I had seen that, had read the reviews, and decided not to bother. I might now rethink. Thanks.

The annoying thing is we had one similar (it didn't hinge away from the wall) which was German made and lasted for years. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the manufacturer - I think it began with an H...

I think mine is a hozelock - but the 30m auto winding one. That's on a hinged wall fixing and can swing 180 degrees from flat to the wall, one side right through to the other.

Reply to
John Rumm

An old car wheel is my preferred option, you could fix it to a stub axle if you wanted it to rotate.

Reply to
Tufnell Park

I think ours is a hozelock. Was on the wall of the old house for six years or so, and on the wall of this one for seven. No issues that I can recall.

Reply to
Tim Streater

yep. Ive had two similar.

First broke due to freezing Second is still working - about 10 years expected life befire they look rusty and shitty and start to leak

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher