Smart meters: SMETS2 v SMETS1

I have just had (another) call from installers working on behalf of my energy supplier offering me a Smart meter, despite my earlier refusal.

The proposal is to install SMETS1. She says there is no fundamental difference between SMETS1 and SMETS2 except SMETS2 has a better booster for weak mobile signals. I said that Which magazine had said there could be problems in switching supplier. She said this was categorically untrue. Does anyone know the truth of the matter?

Bizarrely, she said I could get it changed in October. I suggested this was perhaps a reason for refusing now!

Reply to
Scott

The worse that could happen if you changed supplier is that the meter would have to be read manually, by you probably. Someone, on here I think, said that they changed supplier and that after a month or two the new supplier was able to take readings from the existing smart meter over the air.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Don't do it. I gather there are a lot of old meters with duff software they are trying to get shot of on unsuspecting people. I do not know the problems with them, but I'd bet they do. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Was there not a problem with insecure data though? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Thanks. I have said I am opting out.

Reply to
Scott

She's categorically... wrong. A SMETS1 installed by one suppler cannot necessarily be read by every other supplier.

SMETS2 are supposed to be coming on-stream in October...

There's an attempt to get around this by putting the SMETS1 meters on a common network (rather than each suppliers' own network as is currently done), but it has failed to go live many times.

It also looks like an excuse not to upgrade the SMETS1 meters to SMETS2, which was the industry's original intention, although many of those who worked on SMETS1 have stated the meters simply don't have the compute capacity to have a firmware upgrade to SMETS2, and no one has figured out who was going to pay for the upgrades - there's no money budgeted for it.

There's no money to upgrade or replace the SMETS1 meters.

That is the most recent claim I've heard too, but it's far from the first, and the others are all in the past.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Ah, thanks. I hadn't heard that.