Are my meters SMETS2

I have just taken over a flat with smart meters fitted. How can I tell if these are smets2 type and will continue to be smart if I move supplier

The Gas meter is ELSTER Themis model BK-G4E The Electricity is a Elster AS300P

Both have 2014 dates on them

I have yet to get the "Dear Occupier welcome to Shell Energy" letter as it is only 2 weeks since I took over.

Is there a database of meter models Vs communication prototcols?

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I'd say the date makes it unlikely.

Reply to
Andy Burns

most unlikely

Reply to
tabbypurr

They must be SMETS2 because Shell Energy only supply 100% renewable energy so when the wind doesn't blow and the sun doesn't shine they must have to cut off customers to prevent them getting energy from other traditional sources.

Reply to
alan_m

Keep in mind they were suggesting that the upgrade to from 1 to 2 was supposed to be possible via just a software upload.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Yes almost certainly one of the first two generations that cannot support the new system. I'd imagine if they want your business they should swap them at no charge. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I'm not sure how you can say that, since they were in business before the new meters were even out.

Incidentally, I heard that finally, the new talking consumer controls are available. This was on all the radio channels a couple of weeks ago, It will be interesting to find out if edf have actually got any when I'm up for a new tariff for leccy only in June. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Following up: Thanks for your replies. I had to phone Shell about something else and they confirmed that my meters were fitted by SSE in 2014 and then the previous owner switched to First Utility (now Shell) rendering them dumb meters.

I did not ask but there was no offer of fitting new meters which is fine by me. Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin