Smart meters - SMETS2 from today

[From BBC Radio 4 You and Yours]

In theory, from today, SMETS1 meters can no longer be installed - all new installations should be the newer SMETS2 meters. This matters because the SMETS1 meters (the bulk of smart meters currently installed) are insecure in a number of ways, and you can't always continue using them as smart meters if you change supplier (although that's got a little better than it was).

However, the energy companies have a history of telling lies about smart meters, and I wouldn't personally trust that no more SMETS1 meters will be fitted.

Personally, I'm not interested until there's something in it for me.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

IIRC the energy companies can no longer count the installation of SMETS1 meters against their contractual obligation.

The main driver for installation is the fines on the energy companies for not meeting targets for the voluntary installation of meters.

So they can still install current stock of SMETS1 meters to run down inventory and also hope to claim them as SMETS2 once the alleged software upgrades are available.

Having signed up to a Smart Meter tariff I now can't get an install because they are fully booked into May (furthest the diary goes).

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I think a lot of it is corporate ignorance myself. Its been handled badly and is now in such a mess its hard to expect anybody to know what the heck is going on. I'm only interested when they can show me a talking remote unit or a device I can look at with a phone or a pc. No point in making the display several feet high, I still won't be able to read it! Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

The whole debacle makes me wonder if Mr Grayling might have had a hand in it!

Reply to
Bob Minchin

When I asked about changing suppliers, I was told the story about the smart meter not working was untrue. Was I being lied to?

Reply to
Scott

SMETS1 from one supplier won't necessarily work with another supplier, though a fix is supposed to be being rolled out. SMETS2 should work with all suppliers and is the only one they should be installing now.