Anyone ever speeded up a stairlift?

I've yet to come across any old person who wouldn't like their stairlift to get there quicker. For goodness sake, they're either trying to answer the door, or get to the loo before they wet themselves, and the thing runs at less than half a mile an hour. Are they powered by hamsters or something?

Why not contact Alton Towers? I understand they have some experience in that department.
--
What power have you got?
Where did you get it from?

:-)
Actually when I asked this question of an installer he said that they are built to be safe, not rapid, and if they ran faster and jammed then the jolt may be very dangerous for the occupant.
That to me sounded a bit like 'cos they always are made this way, I only fit them guv, nothing to do with me' Still there may be some merit in the plan, unless you really want to wear a crash helmet, neck brace and a three point harness to use one. Brian
--
----- --
They have a seatbelt, perfectly adequate for a sudden stop from walking speed. So why should they go a quarter walking speed?

On 14/03/2019 22:12, Commander Kinsey wrote:

Youtube always has the answers
https://youtu.be/wK30R1gsgGk?t

https://youtu.be/wK30R1gsgGk?t

--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

Ah, one of my favourite films :-) Not that I have an evil streak or anything ;-)
On 14/03/2019 22:57, Commander Kinsey wrote:

Are you 10 years old?
Or just that level of maturity?
On 3/14/19 6:07 PM, Fredxx wrote:

The only difference between men and boys is the price of our toys. Me included.

Indeed, anyone who "grows up" is a boring old fart.

Actually it was a genuine question. I know several old people and they all get fed up of waiting a few minutes to get to the top or bottom of the stairs, when someone's knocked on the door and will have left by the time they get there, or they need to get to the toilet urgently, and wet themselves before they arrive. The current models of stairlifts are absolutely pitiful. I'm not asking for them to go at absurd speeds, perhaps just the speed a person would walk? Every one I've seen is more the speed a baby would crawl.
On Thursday, 14 March 2019 22:24:45 UTC, alan_m wrote:

I thought you were going to link to this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
kpAb0QfIw
:-)

Most have a DC motor and 12 volt SLA battery under the seat. Prolly not legal or safe but you could put an 18 or 24 volt battery pack in, upgrade the charger and hang on.
--
Get off my lawn!

Legal? Who's going to inspect it? No MOTs on a stairlift. FUCK THE LAW!
On Friday, 15 March 2019 00:30:29 UTC, Grumpy Old White Guy wrote:

t to get there quicker.  For goodness sake, they're either trying to a nswer the door, or get to the loo before they wet themselves, and the thing runs at less than half a mile an

egal or safe but you could put an 18 or 24 volt battery pack in, upgrade th e charger and hang on.
Reckon you'd have to feed them 240v to get a sensible speed going. You'd ne ed a much more powerful motor. Those cheap hoists go a sensible speed but a re very noisy.
NT

It's not sensible. Old people don't need to go slower than walking speed when they're sat in a chair (which has a seatbelt). Imagine they're desperate for the loo, or want to answer the door to the postman before he goes away.

Easily fixed with a piss bottle.

Easily fixed with a notice beside the doorbell etc.
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 14 Mar 2019 22:12:22 -0000, "Commander

I think the Binford 9x replacement stairlift motor does a good job. It's 300 amps with a torque of 400 foot-pounds and can lift a 500 pound man up one flight of stairs in 30 seconds or a 200 pound man in 8 seconds.
You should probably also get the Binford 300 stairlift hydraulic brake, since it goes so fast you don't want to stop suddently.

Wot? Are you askin' if yer brain is hampster-powered?