Hey lady, your chimney needs repair.

Got a call from my Mom, this evening, about

45 mnutes ago.

"Chris? This guy stopped by and says the chimney needs repair. I wanted you to come out and look at it before I give him any money."

What's the first thing that comes to YOUR mind?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Your Mom was just contacted by a fund raiser for Hillary Clinton's campaign?

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Tuckpointing.

Reply to
Don Y

I knew your mother's chimney needed repair without even leaving my chair. Where does she live and I'll send out the most reliable crew.

Inside Edition, NBC, right after the evening news, started a series, I think tonight. They rented a home, had someone check out the electric garage door opener, that everything was fine, then rotated a light or sensor at the bottom and called a repairman. The first one to come told her that the springs were not strong enough to hold the door up (even though I think the problem was that the door would not go down.) And he wanted $450 for new springs. Did I mention they put cameras all over the house, and when the repairman got there, she said she had to finish a phone call.

Reply to
Micky

I heard of, yeah, a neighbor, that was it... who stored some boxes in the garage and whose garage door wouldn't close.

The service folk came out and showed, yeah, my nighbor.. that one of the boxes was blocking the electric eye.

Said their regular basic service fee started at $45 but they'd be happy with $15 for their time and mileage...

Reply to
danny burstein

Don't wear your pants down around your knees while climbing the ladder to inspect her chimney?

Reply to
Obamacrat

She needs a "NO SOLICITATION" sign on her door!

I have one of those signs. I also have a "NO TRESPASSING" sign at the entrance to my property. Couple weeks ago, I had some moron banging on my door, said he had a complaint about something on my property, but for $$$$ he could fix it. By the way he spoke and acted, I knew he was clearly on drugs. I told him I'd like to arrange for him to give me an estimate, but I would have to check my schedule, and told him to wait. I shut and locked the door. Then I called the police. I stalled, leaving him out on my porch until the police arrived. He left here in a police car! Better yet, he was wanted by the police, and has an extensive criminal record, and is a listed sex offender, which I confirmed online. Now he has a charge for trespassing added. According to the police, it looks like he'll be in jail for a long time.

Before coming here, he did a similar thing to several of my neighbors, but they just told him to leave. One of them, a woman, said she thought the guy was on drugs too, and he made her very scared, and kept trying to get into her house, but she went inside and locked the door. I told her she should have called the police immediately.

Reply to
RealPerson

In Canada - CBC's consumer show - Marketplace - has done quite a few hidden camera expose's .. I'm quite sure the garage door opener was a few years ago. More recently hitting the news - a repairman

- pees in a coffee mug, empties it in the kitchen sink, gives it a quick rinse & puts it back in the dish drainer - ugh. It hit the news recently when that same repairman was found to be a Conservative Party candidate - running for political office for the Federal Parliament ! ... known by the company you keep, or what ! Geeeze. John T.

hubops

Well, that's one option.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I saw a youtube clip of some thing similar with a home AC system. The treatment plans ran the whole variety from this or that, to extreme. One or two companies found the wire nut laying in the bottom, and put it back on.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Dat be de kool look, know I'm sayin, home?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Well, it does involve hot air.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I was also thinking of a call to the police department. Have the fellow checked out.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It's the only reason to repair the chimney, without inspecting it internally by climbing onto the roof. I had a guy come to my door asking if he could tuckpoint my chimney. Said he'd do it for $150. Sure, and he did a nice job. You can see most of the chimneys that need tuckpointing by just walking down the street.

Reply to
Vic Smith

I saw a neigbor mounting a satellite dish to their chimney. I warned them it was a bad idea, since the dish will vibrate in wind and weaken the chimney. the neighbor said you should always mount antennas to chimneys.

well within a year a big storm came thru, and brought down his chimney. all that remained was the dish hanging by its cable.

the neighbor saw me and was upset.

our entire neighbor had no power for 3 days

Reply to
bob haller

their chimney. I warned them it was a bad idea, since the dish will vibrate in wind and weaken the chimney. the neighbor said you should always mount antennas to chimneys.

brought down his chimney. all that remained was the dish hanging by its cable.

Didn't know that about chimneys. The people next door have antenna (but not a dish type) on the roof chimney.

Hey, how big is your neighbor? The one which was without power for three days? Must be a Obese Cycle rider, since you say the entire neighbor was out three days?

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Scam.

Reply to
Dana F Bonnett

the dish pans act like a wing and do virate in the wind, bricvk chimneys were never designed for that.

theres no reason to mount them high up if they have sa view of the satellite from down low.

I put my dishes down low on my deck, one wet snowey winter i cleaded snow maybe 15 times when it accumulated on the pan. i was ready to install a dish heater when the idits at dish raised the extra receiver fees from 5 bucks a month to 17 bucks a month.

i went to comcast over that single issue and have tivos.

atleast tivo boxes are stable, they just work no troubleshooting necessary. no bad software.

Reply to
bob haller

over 20,000 pittsburgers were without power, some for over a week

the damage was unreal

Reply to
bob haller

He wanted $675 up front. Might that possibly be a scam? I mean.... he was so, so polite and all.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon