Anyone Here Ever Try this?

I've been trying to figure out some sort of machine to shake rattle can spray paint. I've been able to figure out a few that would probably work, but a bit more Rube Goldeberg than I would like.

However, even better, I think. A sabre saw, or Sawzall, to provide the motion. Probably have to make a frame of some sort, attached to an old blade, to hold a can in, possibly just with rubber bands - don't want to make it too complicated.

Haven't tried this yet, but plan to. Possibly using a timer, so can just set it to 2-3 minutes, and leave it. I can't think of any reason something like this wouldn't work. Would sure beat shaking the cans by hand.

Anyone here ever tried any thing like this? If so, how did it work out? Good, bad, indifferent? People with tired arms want to know.

JOAT Whoever said a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work never had thier boat sink.

- Unknown

Reply to
J T

Here is "The Correct Way to Shake a Spray Paint Can."

Looks like you'll need an orbital motor of some kind. :-)

Reply to
Dhakala

Mon, Aug 8, 2005, 9:38pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Dhakala) did put out: Here is "The Correct Way to Shake a Spray Paint Can." Looks like you'll need an orbital motor of some kind. :-)

I re-read my post, "just to be sure", but that wasn't the question I asked. If I'd wanted to know that, I'd read a can, Last I looked, that info's printed on the back of every can; along with some other info.

No prob, decided I'll just duct tape a can to the blade, quicker, easier, faster.

JOAT Whoever said a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work never had thier boat sink.

- Unknown

Reply to
J T

Well, if every can tells you to swirl it around instead shaking it up and down, why would you use a Sawzall?

Reply to
Dhakala

| I've been trying to figure out some sort of machine to shake | rattle can spray paint. I've been able to figure out a few that | would probably work, but a bit more Rube Goldeberg than I would | like. | | However, even better, I think. A sabre saw, or Sawzall, to | provide the motion. Probably have to make a frame of some sort, | attached to an old blade, to hold a can in, possibly just with | rubber bands - don't want to make it too complicated. | | Haven't tried this yet, but plan to. Possibly using a timer, | so can just set it to 2-3 minutes, and leave it. I can't think of | any reason something like this wouldn't work. Would sure beat | shaking the cans by hand. | | Anyone here ever tried any thing like this? If so, how did it | work out? Good, bad, indifferent? People with tired arms want to | know.

In one of the ATOH episodes, they showed a compact drill-powered can shaker. I tried later to track the device down; but could never find a manufacturer, distributor, or dealer.

I've been tempted to liberate a defunct weed eater from the landfill and cut it down until I could attach a can holder to the piston head - then use a drill to turn the crankshaft.

Anyone know anything about the product shown on ATOH?

Morris Dovey

maybe modify a test tube shaker?

Reply to
bridger

G'day JOAT, Yep, I like you, got bloody sick and tired of shaking spray cans and those little pots of paint. Had Ryobi Scroll saw sitting under the bench, had updated. Taped the can to the top arm and turned her on. Had to make a couple of saves with the first few cans as they decided they would rather be somewhere else than getting the sh.t shook out of em. More tape and away she went, did a great job. ;) and no tennis elbow. All the best John

Reply to
John B

How about taping it to an orbital sander?

Reply to
Bob Martin

If you're determined to try this, I would cushion the blade with something (electricians tape?)and maybe use a sawzall as someone else mentioned. Then use a hose clamp or two to fasten the can to the blade.

Any slop in the connection will allow a tooth or two or three to dig into the can as it shakes. About 40 seconds or less of THAT action ought to solve all your problems. Just make sure you shake it close to the item to be painted so you can salvage at least some of the paint that flies out once you breach the can.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Hmm, wonder what that site author knows that the paint manufacturer's don't? They describe it differently. Don't believe everything you read.

Especially this part is interesting:

"Then shade the can for 30seconds to a minute the next time the can is used during the same day. "

Now, why should I "shade" a can of paint for 30 seconds to a minute?

Pop

Reply to
Pop

You might have a marketable idea on your hands there!

I've had one of thos bed vibrators like they use in motels around for years and never found a use for it: Maybe you've found one for me.

Dunno why your idea wouldn't basically work; don't know about rubber bands though. Need something that'll clamp for quicker de/attachment.

Unless you're going to patent it, let us know what you end up with

Pop

Reply to
Pop

How about one of those toys for women things? They vibrate and stroke back and forth at the same time.

Rather than rubberband it, just get the lucky woman to hold it for a few minutes.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You've got to be kidding! Do you really expect every dork on the internet to answer _your_ question instead of spouting whatever garbage he wants to preach?

Okay, that's kinda strong language since the information was somewhat related to the subject and could be interpreted as showing you what kind of motion you needed to generate.

But don't disparage information that people take the time to post just because you don't think it _exactly_ answers the question you thought you asked.

Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner

I have this sort of metal picture (not usually a good thing, for me) of a long stroke reciprocating saw with a metal plate with one end ground down to blade fastening size, with one of those adjustable pool or fishing pole clamps bolted to it... hmm... Might be overkill, though... easier to do a Huck Finn with the neighborhood kids.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I don't know about a shaker, but model builders have been know to use two slowly rotating dowels with paint bottles nestled in them. Just turn it on every time you're in the room. Would probably work for spray cans as well, but a shaker would eliminate the need to plan ahead :-).

Reply to
lgb

2) Get a dog 3)strap can to cat 4)mix cat and dog in yard 5) retrieve shaken can 6)make pushstick from cat 7) save dog for next time v
Reply to
Vic Baron

Strap it to a Katherine Hepburn BobbleHead.

Reply to
Robatoy

Two possibilities. One is the good old vibrator/ polisher. Heck you could even strap the can on a back vibrator. But if you go with this type just build a light frame holding a motor with an off balance wheel that you can strap to the paint can. Can be a very small motor. Hang the whole thing by string from 3 points.

Second, you don't need to shake just rotate the can. Use the principle of a rock tumbler. Two parallel round bars closer than the width of the can. Use a small motor that drives turns one of the rods, other bar is an idler. Rotate the bar so that the can turns about 40 times per minute. You could even put a bump on the drive bar to create a bit more agitation.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Mon, Aug 8, 2005, 10:40pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Dhakala) burbled: Well, if every can tells you to swirl it around instead shaking it up and down, why would you use a Sawzall?

Because it's there.

JOAT Whoever said a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work never had thier boat sink.

- Unknown

Reply to
J T

Tue, Aug 9, 2005, 2:16am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@iedu.com (Morris=A0Dovey) wanteth to knoweth: Anyone know anything about the product shown on ATOH?

Somebody e-mailed me (stop e-mailing me people, respond to the thread, I've run out of polite replies), about something called a "rattleshake", which is what I think you're looking for. They included a link - which didn't work.