Help still cant figure it out.

I found the website on sears with the explosed diagram but it is not helpful for showing where the belt goes. It seems I cant get the bottom belt tight. I dont know how the bottom tensioner is supposed to work either, it may be broken.

Can anyone help me? The model number for this 50 inch Craftsman is

917.273051

Thanks very much!

Reply to
Don

I have a 42" model 917.254860 Do you suppose the belt drives are similar? Sears mailed me an owners manual for it quite promptly after I called their service number, and the cost wasn't budget breaking.

Reply to
John Ings

On 30 Jul 2004 06:08:16 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Don) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Just get one of them cars to run over it as they run off of the road.

***************************************************** It's not the milk and honey we hate. It's having it rammed down our throats.
Reply to
Old Nick

They might be similar. How does your go on?

Reply to
Don

The mower drive belt when installed forms a T shape with the engine pulley at the base of the T and the pullies at the top of the blade mandrels at the two ends of the crossbar of the T. There are a pair of ider pulleys attached to the end of an idler arm that serve to force the belt to assume its T shape. The hub of one of these pullies is fixed, but the arm with the second pulley at the far end is free to rotate. When the mower lever is raised to the engaged position, it pulls on the idler arm, swinging the pulley toward the top of the T and tensioning the belt so it drives the mower blades.

Reply to
John Ings