[OT] Unlocking Orange handset

Orange accounts are being closed down. I asked EE, who took over these accounts, for unlock codes for some old Orange Nokia handsets.
I received unlock codes for two handsets but was told Nokia don't have an unlock code for the third.
All these handsets were supplied by Orange on various contracts.
Where do I stand? Do Orange/EE have any obligation to provide these codes? Are they under any duty to provide a replacement unlocked handset?
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 13:41:55 +0000, Pamela wrote:

Try <https://www.dc-unlocker.com/
With luck you can get a free unlock code.
Cheers
Dave R

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 13:45:15 +0000, David wrote:

This was one of the reasons I won't ever consider a locked handset again. About 3 years ago I tried to set our son up with a quickie get-me-out-of- trouble phone, and out of 11 old handsets that all worked, not a single one could be used.
The one which infuriated me most was an Orange £4.95 alcatel that they wanted £40 to unlock to take an EE SIM.
Fuck that.
I also discovered a lot of unlock sites are shite.

I thought maybe some regulation required network operators to provide unlock codes for free.
Maybe free codes are only for contract phones.
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 15:06:25 +0000, Pamela wrote:

From memory most contract phones are unlocked anyway. Not that I care. My last phone was direct from WileyFox - unlocked and damn good value (their appalling customer service is what did for them). 4 years on and it's a testament to how little has changed that I don't need a new one to do anymore for me ... this suits me fine.
On 15/03/2019 15:25, Jethro_uk wrote:

Can't remember the last time I bought a phone that was locked. Mind you I don't change them every 5 minutes like some people seem to. I only bought my current one (Samsung S5 mini) because my old one (S4 mini) died on me.
The two Nokia 6310i's I have as standbys have been faultless for the last 15 years and are still on the original batteries too.
--
Ria in Aberdeen

It would be useful to know the Nokia models. There are unlock code generators on line that will work with some of them.
--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

I'm trying to unlock an old Nokia 8210.
On 15/03/2019 19:04, Pamela wrote:

Try www.unlockitfree.com
--
Ria in Aberdeen

Unfortunately that site doesn't list an 8210 handset. I must be jinxed!

Try http://www.unlock-free.com/nokia/nokia-8210.html
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

On 16/03/2019 16:52, Tim+ wrote:

Yes I'm sure I used this site with an 8210 I had a few years ago. I was just too lazy to look for the specific page this time..!
--
Ria in Aberdeen

The capacity of unused NiMHs will degrade when they lose most of their voltage and crystals start to form.
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 15:25:01 -0000 (UTC)

That and their penchant for pissing about on social media rather than sorting things out. I think WF was run by teenagers ;)
--
Your grandeur passes, and your pageantry,
Your lordships pass, your kingdoms pass; and Time
On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 06:13:37 +0000, Chronos wrote:

Well, yes. I have countless spaffing invitations to "register" which I couldn't because their "web site" was so shit. Part of the offer when I bought mine was a free case if you registered before a certain date. Needless to say, I never saw it.
But it's a nice phone. Which - unless my basic research is badly skewed - was a bargain at £130 even now - 4 years on. The only feature it lacks - and it's not a biggie - is NFC.
On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 12:11:43 -0000 (UTC)

Ah, you lucky bugger, you got a Swift, which really is a good device despite the brand and the 720p resolution. I went for the Storm, which was probably missing "shit" as a prefix. Dying LEDs, a magnetometer too close to a power rail, a charge port that absolutely refuses to fast charge under any circumstances, including using the supplied cable, the inability to power on after complete battery exhaustion, the list goes on.
Its saving grace is compatibility with LineageOS and the fact it still works, albeit with the caveats above. I really rue the decision to throw in with a Shenzhen generic masquerading as a British brand. A Moto would have been a far better choice.
That said, I do have one thing to thank Wileyfox for: Thanks to this experience, I have resisted the temptation to buy a Nokia solely on the past reputation of the brand. This is not your dad's Nokia.
--
Your grandeur passes, and your pageantry,
Your lordships pass, your kingdoms pass; and Time
On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 23:08:20 +0000, Chronos wrote:

I fitted a magnetic coupler to my port so it doesn't get any mechanical stress. It's the single cheapest "upgrade" we should all apply to our phones to ensure they last the 5-6 years they will probably be OK for.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

I think you'll find that they are required to provide unlock codes, on demans. at the end of the contract.
If the phone wasn't supplied - allegedly at a discounted price - whether on a contract or tied to PAYG, it shouldn't be locked in the first place!
WE only buy SIM free phones these days but when I wanted my phone unlocked, I went to place advertising the service and they unlocked it for a fiver.
When my wife wanted her phone unlocked, I found the unlock code online and got it for free!
--

Terry

Fortunately the phone is a DCT4 for which you can get an automated unlock code free on line.
If you look at the GiffGaff page https://www.giffgaff.com/unlock/nokia-8210-phone it will do it for you.
If the decoder gives you several codes usually numbered 1-7 it is only code 5 that you need to enter to network unlock it. Once unlocked it does not forget. However if it has a SP logo at start-up, unlocking will not remove it.
--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

That GiffGaff page sends you to http://nokiafree.org/unlock/
There the "Nokia DCT4 online calculator" doesn't list an 8210 in the dropdown list for "Nokia model".
Seems like a bug.