[OT] Unlocking Orange handset

Orange accounts are being closed down. I asked EE, who took over these accounts, for unlock codes for some old Orange Nokia handsets.

I received unlock codes for two handsets but was told Nokia don't have an unlock code for the third.

All these handsets were supplied by Orange on various contracts.

Where do I stand? Do Orange/EE have any obligation to provide these codes? Are they under any duty to provide a replacement unlocked handset?

Reply to
Pamela

Try

With luck you can get a free unlock code.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

This was one of the reasons I won't ever consider a locked handset again. About 3 years ago I tried to set our son up with a quickie get-me-out-of- trouble phone, and out of 11 old handsets that all worked, not a single one could be used.

The one which infuriated me most was an Orange £4.95 alcatel that they wanted £40 to unlock to take an EE SIM.

Fuck that.

I also discovered a lot of unlock sites are s**te.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

From memory most contract phones are unlocked anyway. Not that I care. My last phone was direct from WileyFox - unlocked and damn good value (their appalling customer service is what did for them). 4 years on and it's a testament to how little has changed that I don't need a new one to do anymore for me ... this suits me fine.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Can't remember the last time I bought a phone that was locked. Mind you I don't change them every 5 minutes like some people seem to. I only bought my current one (Samsung S5 mini) because my old one (S4 mini) died on me.

The two Nokia 6310i's I have as standbys have been faultless for the last 15 years and are still on the original batteries too.

Reply to
MissRiaElaine

It would be useful to know the Nokia models. There are unlock code generators on line that will work with some of them.

Reply to
Woody

I'm trying to unlock an old Nokia 8210.

Reply to
Pamela

I think you'll find that they are required to provide unlock codes, on demans. at the end of the contract.

If the phone wasn't supplied - allegedly at a discounted price

- whether on a contract or tied to PAYG, it shouldn't be locked in the first place!

WE only buy SIM free phones these days but when I wanted my phone unlocked, I went to place advertising the service and they unlocked it for a fiver.

When my wife wanted her phone unlocked, I found the unlock code online and got it for free!

Reply to
Terry Casey

Fortunately the phone is a DCT4 for which you can get an automated unlock code free on line.

If you look at the GiffGaff page

will do it for you.

If the decoder gives you several codes usually numbered 1-7 it is only code 5 that you need to enter to network unlock it. Once unlocked it does not forget. However if it has a SP logo at start-up, unlocking will not remove it.

Reply to
Woody

Try

MissRiaElaine

They don't get used for calls on an everyday basis, but they're always powered up. Average battery time 4 or 5 days. I confess to playing Snake

2 on them from time to time, though :-)
Reply to
MissRiaElaine

That and their penchant for pissing about on social media rather than sorting things out. I think WF was run by teenagers ;)

Reply to
Chronos

I have yet to find a phone that I was unable to unlock. Either from the free websites and a bit of work, or, on a couple of occasions, from those "£2 to unlock" eBay people who provide you with a code in return for your phone's IMEI.

Reply to
JoeJoe

How can capacity of 15 year old NiMH batteries not go down?

Reply to
Pamela

That GiffGaff page sends you to

There the "Nokia DCT4 online calculator" doesn't list an 8210 in the dropdown list for "Nokia model".

Seems like a bug.

Reply to
Pamela

The capacity of unused NiMHs will degrade when they lose most of their voltage and crystals start to form.

Reply to
Pamela

It looks as though unlock-free.com and unlocking4free.com may do it for you. Despite what they advise you should only need to enter code 5, certainly use 5 if 7 doesn't work.

Reply to
Woody

Both those sites give the exact same message, "An Error has occured!".

When I finally manage to get an unlock code, are you saying to use +5 with the unlock code which was provided to be used with +1 or +7?

Reply to
Pamela

Unfortunately that site doesn't list an 8210 handset. I must be jinxed!

Reply to
Pamela