Vaillant repair pricing

Very odd servicing options from Vaillant.
They do a fixed price repair for £311. This covers most parts, excluding the expensive bits like the big circular heat exchanger and the expansion vessel. (Why not the expansion vessel? It's not that expensive, surely?)
Or for £312 they do 6 months cover from Domestic & General. This covers any repairs needed during the 6 months, up to £1500 total, including the initial repair.
It seems a no-brainer to go for the D&G option, then cancel after the 6 months. What am I missing?
On 15/03/2019 14:06, GB wrote:

ISTM a key difference is that Vaillant's price is (patently) for a fault you already have, D&G's price is for insurance which (as usual) doesn't cover pre-existing faults.
I have no idea how (if at all) D&G enforce the exclusion.
--
Robin
On 15/03/2019 14:33, Robin wrote:

talking to 'er indoors made me realise I may have misunderstood what is meant when the Repair & Care plan has "If we can't fix your initial fault, we'll refund any monies paid up until that point". I'd taken that to mean "the first fault after you sign up for the cover". But I agree it could mean "the fault that led you to sign up". If so, it looks the better buy - but I'm underwhelmed by the absence of any obvious way to see the detailed T&Cs.
--
Robin
On 15/03/2019 15:23, Robin wrote:

Well, Vaillant certainly know there's a fault. They even know the fault code. F61.
On 15/03/2019 15:35, GB wrote:

Then I can only think of inertia: Repair & Care requires a direct debit and if it also requires positive action to cancel it...
I'd still want to see the T&Cs but that's just me.
--
Robin

I've just had an ecoTEC plus 832 installed and the engineer was tame enough to leave me the installation manual.
F.61 Fault: Fuel valve actuation | The gas valve assembly cannot be actuated | >Check: Cable harness, plug, gas valve assembly (rinse), PCB.
Apparently I have a seven year warrenty as long as I have it serviced annually. I havn't read, ot even seen the T&Cs yet.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Graham. expressed precisely :

The installation, service and the user manuals are on the Vaillant site free to download.
On 15/03/2019 14:33, Robin wrote:

For me it was explained by Valliant as their price was single fault fix including all spares except main heat exchanger whereas D&G was 6 months cover all parts including main heat exchanger. As my boiler was about 16 years old and primary H/E was a possible culprit I went D&G they replaced almost everything except fan and circuit board. Had a new pump, diverter valve, primary and DHW Heat exchangers, insualtion, and a good 12 hours or more man hours due to bits not fitting etc.
Got a renewal letter just before the 6 months was up with a renewal premium which would go up to £50 a month. Obviously I declined and cancelled the D.D.
It really is a no-brainer. :)