Demolition Breaker

I need to break up about 5m x 5m of concrete, varies in depth, seems to be about 4" max.
I intend to do it over a few weeks, once the weather improves. Would this be up to the job:
https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-demolition-breaker/p/096542269374000
I intend to buy it, then sell on ebay once it's done.
--
Cheers, Rob

On 15/03/2019 14:44, RJH wrote:

I think SDS drilling and plug and feathers to cut the concrete into manageable chunks would be easier and leave less rubble and mess?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plug_and_feather
If you want a new toy.............

I got a very similar but slightly cheaper one on Ebay (?75GBP) and it did a similar job without struggling. If the concrete is wholly bounded by walls with no free edge and you have a big angle grinder it migfht be worth cutting a coupl of parallel slots about 200mm apart and im long just to get an edge to start with, concrete being much easier to break if not in compression. Otherwise best to drill a hole with a big masonry drill or the pointed breaker. Once you have a edge the chiselling away 2-4" chunks seems to work best. Won't take more than a few days, depending how far you have to move the bits.
--

Roger Hayter

On 15/03/2019 14:44, RJH wrote:

Being scientific about this:-
Impact power: 55J
One of the heavy SDS drills from the likes of Screwfix has around 8J, so the aldi breaker is about 7 times the power. I'd have thought that's loads.
On 15/03/2019 15:42, GB wrote:

A drill and a breaker are different beasts. While some SDS drills have a nominal breaker function (ie you can have the hammer action without the rotary action), I doubt they are intended for serious breaking. For example, taking down a brick wall is far less demanding than breaking a concrete slab.
I'm not suggesting the Aldi beast isn't up to the job, I've bought several of they power tools and been very happy with them. They also honour their warranty. I'd give it a try and, if it isn't up to the job, expect them to refund the money with out a problem. It will be cheap than hiring if it works.
If you can, try and dig out some of the soil under each section as you go, just enough so the slab isn't supported by the ground, and chip it away.
--

Smile for the camera ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyL2_38EsQ

On 15/03/2019 16:01, Brian Reay wrote:

Very true.
I have tackled stuff with a 2kg SDS and you can make progress.
But when I borrowed a full sized jackhammer off a builder, I demolished a couple of 4" "farmers" concrete slabs in literally a couple of minutes, leaving me to pick up a lot of small sized bits and stick them in the skip.
--
Email does not work

I once broke up a similar area with just a sledge hammer. If you can lever up a bit with a pick axe to create a tiny space underneath, it’s not that hard to break up, and very satisfying. ;-)
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

On 15/03/2019 15:49, Tim+ wrote:

+1 I used a mixture of SDS plus with chisel and levering up and smacking with a large sledge hammer took me about 2 or 3 days for a similar size.
On 15/03/2019 16:45, ss wrote:

Thanks everyone for the replies.
I have SDSd and couple of small areas, just to see how thick the slab is. It was much harder work than I thought it'd be. The chisel bit didn't manage to break the concrete, so a series of holes and cold chisel.
But I think I'll try the sledge hammer approach - I think a mate has one I can borrow. Much as I'd like a new toy :-)
--
Cheers, Rob

On 15/03/2019 17:04, RJH wrote:

I can assure you that a conctete saw will reduce 4" slab to liftable strips in minutes

"Saki"
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 17:04:06 +0000, RJH wrote:

I had similar about 15 years ago. The concrete was perhaps a bit thicker and f'ing hard! (I don't know why, as it was only a path). Tried a 7lb one - bouncy-bouncy. Borrowed a 14 pounder and that /just/ managed. I'm 6' 4" and I forced the hammer down as hard as I could (lifted my feet off the ground) and kept the force on the hammer after it had hit. Typically 4 - 6 blows, naer the dge, to get it started. I reckon somebody had installed a 30"-wide runway for a Galaxy!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
On 15/03/2019 17:04, RJH wrote:

A lot depends on the cement content of the original mix. Whatever tool you have, you really need to be working from an edge. Personally, I'd be happy to invest 100 notes in one of those to save having to use a sledge hammer too much.
On 15/03/2019 20:28, newshound wrote:

+1 I've found that the sledge hammer approach can spall off bits of the surface which go flying out at a rapid rate.
Just make sure that when using a sledge hammer that any vehicles are parked far enough away to prevent them being damaged from flying debis. Protect any nearby glass.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 15/03/2019 16:45, ss wrote:

+2 But it's a 2 man job.
One "lifts" the concrete and the other one hits it with the sledgehammer.
--
Adam

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 19:06:37 +0000

If you can lift it you can stick a wedge under it ...
Reading some of the replies to this problem I really have to question some of the advice given especially when talking of spending 2-3 days using tool s not really suited for the job just to save a few quid. The solution is ob vious hire a breaker, a local hire shop here will hire one out for £35 a day and the job will be done in a couple of hours never mind two days. I am all for saving money on a job but as for spending days choking on concr ete saw dust or swinging sledge hammers is worth £35 of my money any d ay!
Richard
On 15/03/2019 19:51, Tricky Dicky wrote:

I find swinging a sledge hammer therapeutic.
--
Adam

On 15/03/2019 19:51, Tricky Dicky wrote:

Also worth considering is that the 6 tons of broken concrete have to be moved and it may be better to have small pieces to lift/move rather than large pieces that are at the limit of what the OP can lift. especially after doing this for a few hours. It may be easy to shovel small pieces whereas large pieces cannot be moved this way.
I wonder if the slab (4 inches on the edge) has been laid on top of compacted hardcore requiring more material to be shifted.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

Easy enough with one person, lift the concrete, kick a rock or one of the broken its under it, use the sledge, repeat until its all in bits.
On 15/03/2019 19:06, ARW wrote:

Nope I just used a piece of 2x2 to lever and left in place then smacked the concrete. It works ok once you get started from an edge.