Stopping wheelie bins from blowing over?

####ing wind!
I'm sick of finding a wheelie bin on it's arse, empty, contents strewn everywhere.
I put a paving slab on them which prevents this, but only if I remember which I didn't yesterday.
So has anyone come up with a more 'set and forget' solution?
I'd buy/build a housing but we've two at the moment and the council are threatening us with a third so waiting to see how that plays out.
I'd just like to stop them rolling along like land based sailing boats down the pavement. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 16:55:45 +0000, R D S wrote:

If they have something in them, doesn't that lower the CoG enough to prevent tipping ? Seemed to on mine. Of course given how "woke" most people are, they're probably putting the light stuff at the bottom, heavy on top ....
Our green bin was blown over last week, and since it's not being used (yet) I left it like that ...
There are probably quite a few solutions. However the non-zero cost of any of them suggests you'll be waiting a long time to see them implemented.
On the topic of wheelie bins, are we alone in having dustmen that look inside and will just take the bag if it's tied, rather than tip the whole bin ? Does it save time ?
There's also the rather grey area of liability for any damage a bin does *after* the nice bin men have emptied it. Maybe one for the legal bods .....
On 15/03/2019 17:20, Jethro_uk wrote:

Good idea.
Over the course of the fortnight in-between emptying the recycling bin, i'll drink spirits in the first week, putting the heavy glass in first, and have any mixers in the plastic bottles in week 2.
Nice one, problem solved.
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 17:53:57 +0000, R D S wrote:

Good old British ingenuity !

Doesn’t seem to be working with BRexit.

heavy

Can't do that where I live - glass has its own bin.
--
Dave W

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 17:20:30 -0000 (UTC)

Well, they don't have to take the bin back if they take the bag out, but who knows how much time looking in every bin adds up? Our bin usually has multiple smaller bags in it, so better to tip it. Wherever I leave it for them they usually manage to return it by a wall close to a lamp post where it's most likely to inconvenience someone with e.g. a tandem push-chair.
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 18:21:08 +0000, Rob Morley wrote:

'Companiable' push-chairs are even wider! We have a standard footway then a wide verge. The bindroids (dimdroids?) mange to leave the bins in the middle of the footway. Another metre wouldn't be too difficult, surely.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Doesn’t happen here, no dustmen at all, just the driver of the truck.

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 17:20:30 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk wrote:

remember

What a standard 2' x 3' x 2" paving slab? They are almost glued to the ground as far as I'm concerned, let alone hoiking one up onto a wheelie bin! Use a smaller rock and get into the habit of always putting it on.

I'd say! The wheels of the wagon barely stop revolving when they pick up our blue bag (only wheelie bin is garden waste). Wagon slows almost to a stop next to the bag, operative hops out, lobs, tightly knotted, replacement bag onto drive, wagon pulls forward as operative picks up bag, back of wagon arrives, bag lobbed in, operative jogs to front of wagon, gets in, off they go. A wheelie bin might be just leaving the ground in the same time...
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 15/03/2019 17:20, Jethro_uk wrote:

Most people put the rubbish in the bin in the order it's generated. They're certainly not going to keep a binload of rubbish around the house in anticipation of some heavier items that they're going to dispose of at the end of the week.

Yes. Or for the fact that our bin men abandon both our bins (food waste is emptied weekly, general waste fortnightly, cardboard and paper monthly and bottles and tins monthly, giving two per week), plus both of our neighbour's bins, directly in front of our drive, forcing me to park up and move the bins before accessing my drive (not fun if I am home early, the road is full of school pick-up parents and it's pouring with rain). They are also left directly in the middle of the pavement, making it very difficult for parents with pushchairs (lots going to and from the schools) or people in wheelchairs (again lots as there is a large care-home 100 yards away and they bring residents our for a "walk" on nice days).
The council say that we are supposed to take them in within a couple of hours of emptying, but that's rather difficult when they empty them around 30 minutes after you've left for work!
SteveW
On 15/03/2019 17:20, Jethro_uk wrote:

You are not alone! I suppose are rubbish is in a bag because we use then in the kitchen pedal bin.

--
Michael Chare

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 21:14:37 +0000, Michael Chare wrote:

To be honest, just 2 of us, we can go 4 weeks before the wheelie bin is full ...

With one of me and fuck all waste, it takes much longer than that. I do put quite a bit of stuff I freeze in the smallest plastic bags and put the bread from the bread machine in a medium sized plastic bag and the frozen peas/corn/capsicum come in plastic bags, but it takes a hell of a lot of those to fill a wheely bin.
On 15/03/2019 16:55, R D S wrote:

Tell me about it. I've tried without success to find a "sweet" spot out of the vortex. My bins and the next-door neighbour's bins always blow over but next-door-but-one's never do. If I could only put our back gardens in a smoke filled wind tunnel and see what's going on here....
I've bought some webbing with ratchet tensioning and plan to put a few eye bolts into the wall and lash the bins to that but -erme- it's a bit too windy to do that at the moment!

Tell me about it. But here in Kirklees the third bin is optional and for garden waste and I recycle all of mine. The leafy stuff gets composted and the woody stuff gets processed throughout the summer to make it suitable for burning indoors during the next winter.
Nick
On 15/03/2019 17:27, Nick Odell wrote:

Well, I say third, we have an optional garden one too which I don't bother with, so actually a forth potentially.
They want us to have,
non recyclable, paper/card, cans/bottles etc, garden waste.
On 15/03/2019 17:47, R D S wrote:

Fourth, of course.

Is that all?! We have a bin for non-recyclable stuff, heavy duty woven plastic bag/sack things for respectively paper, cardboard, tins&plastic. Then there's a rectangular black plastic bin for glass bottles, and a bin for garden waste, making six containers of various sorts, in all.
--

Chris

On 15/03/2019 19:04, Chris Hogg wrote:

My envy cup runneth over, not. We have to cope with a black plastic bag and clear plastic bag for recycling. I don't bother with the bottle box, just use the recycling bin at the nearby supermarket car park.