Stopping wheelie bins from blowing over?

On 15/03/2019 17:47, R D S wrote:

That's what we have, except the garden waste one used to be food and garden waste, changed to food and cut-flowers only (unless you paid a yearly fee for garden waste collection) and is changing back to a no-extra fee food and garden waste collection in a couple of months.
SteveW
On 15/03/2019 16:55, R D S wrote:

Has anyone screwed part of a paving slab to the bottom? You'd need to place the slab inside, then screw through the base of the bin into the slab, with very large washers to spread the load.
There could be safety issues, as the empty bins will be heavier than the binmen expect.

I thought much the same. Rather than using a paving slab, you could screw some heavy gauge screws through the base, with large washers to spread the load, as you suggest, and then empty a bag of postcrete into the bin, followed by some water to set it off.
--

Chris

On 15/03/2019 18:17, Chris Hogg wrote:

I recently had to buy a new bin. They are £50 where I live. So, experimenting had better not damage the bin too much.

Watching how the bins are inverted and slammed about by the emptying mechanism, I think a fixed internal weight would soon tear the bin base apart (and annoy the bin men).
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

On 16 Mar 2019 16:35:51 GMT

But water would just tip out and drain out the bottom of the truck.

Fine, but I’m not talking about water. Not sure the bin men would be happy about everyone loading up their bins with water. That’s a lot of extra work for them.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

On 15/03/2019 16:55, R D S wrote:

We have some bins normally kept next to a wall. I screwed eyes into the wall and use a bungee to keep a bin in place. The bungee frayed, and I did wonder if some animal had tried to chew it. We have a stack of three little bins. Two have plastic flaps and one flap broke when I put the stack of bins out to be collected and the stack got blown over. I asked for a replacement flap. It was delivered free of charge the next day.
--
Michael Chare

R D S wrote:

Bungie strap to hold the lid in place? Shouldn't matter if it keels over then, but more bungie straps could fix that too ...
On Friday, 15 March 2019 16:55:49 UTC, R D S wrote:

In our case a bungee cord tying together the handles of two bins together back-to-back has worked wonders. Separately they'd walk around in the wind, often falling over entirely, but together we've had no issues.
On 15/03/2019 23:11, Mathew Newton wrote:

I have a piece of rope, one end tied to the garden bench the other end has a lump of paving slab tied to it, when windy I pull the rope over the 3 bins and sit the slab on the ground.