Concrete breaker or sds demolition hammer?

I have approximately 25 square metres of concrete which needs to be broken up. It actually consists of "crazy paving" with cement on top of a second concrete patio. Both layers only need to be broken through (for water drainage) in certain places. The patios do not need to be removed.

The obvious choice is to hire a breaker which would cost approx =A340 ukp for a weekend.

I am just wondering if it is worth considering the investment in a 6 or7kg SDS Max Demolition Hammer (eg Makita around 400 ukp)? The time scale for completing the job would then not be an issue, it would be an investment for future work, and would of course be new.

My question is - for a limited job like this - would it work (nearly) as well as a kango type breaker?

Reply to
mjb

mjb formulated on Tuesday :

Are you intending drilling holes in the 25m or trying to break up the entire 25m?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Sledgehammer, a towel some gloves and a big bottle of pop. :-)

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

Drilling holes only in the 25m. It is actually two patios on top of which (a large amount) of topsoil will be placed, followed by turf. There are reasons for this - but these are not worth pursuing! So the answer is - establishing holes/breaks which will allow drainage.

Reply to
mjb

The message from "mjb" contains these words:

For the number of holes you need to make, I'd buy one of the 30 quid SDS drills from B&Q. It'll do the job well enough and will probably still be working at the end.

Reply to
Guy King

Hard to know without specifics for comparison.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Ah, more info. I'd be inclined to use a concrete breaker for this, a few holes won't have the same long-term drainage capability as turning the concrete layer int a cracked eggshell. Get a "heavy duty" machine, and a couple of points, tell the hire person what it's for, and you should get some long ones.

Reply to
Chris Bacon