SDS Max Demolition hammer on clearance in Wickes

Just picked one of these up in store:

Don't know what price they started at but they were £90 at one stage.

Cosmetically similar to this Sparky model although I don't know how similar the internals are:

The documentation names Sparky on the Declaration of Conformity.

It's a big, heavy bugger but I have a fireplace to open up and, with a 5-ye ar guarantee, I thought £30 was worth a punt.

Oh, and the max bits are a third of the price at Toolstation that they are at Wickes.

Reply to
mike

Hmm handy... could of done with that the other day. I was sticking a cat flap through a 9" solid wall, with 'kin hard bricks. There was already a core bored 4" hole there, so I thought it would be a fairly quick job with the SDS to square it up. Two hours later finally had the bugger fitted. I was almost contemplating going to get my big concrete breaker (which is a 15kg monster)!

Its not often a size I need, but at the price it could be worth a punt.

Reply to
John Rumm

Well, I thought I need to get some slabs and some other bits, so might as well pop in and see. The web site said the local branch had one in stock. Looked on the shelves and the rather meagre selection of power toys and nothing to be seen. Asked at the info desk, and they could not find record of it on their system. So I browsed to uk.d-i-y on my phone and found mike's post, followed the link and gave them the stock code!

Turns out they one they had was a mail order return, so they said they would get it and find out why it was returned. Turns out the tube of grease supplied had leaked a bit and made the user manual a bit soggy, other than that it looked fine, and it had never even been taken out of the box by the look of it.

They gave me another fiver off for the slightly oily state ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

So is something going to get a good hammering tonight.

Reply to
ARW

Jammy sounds more appropriate than oily ;-)

Reply to
fred

Glad the posting was of use to someone.

The one I got was oily too but they made a half-hearted attempt at wiping it with the free rag that came in the box. On balance, I'd've preferred the fiver. ;-)

I'm a while away from attacking the fireplace so, if you have cause to use it in anger soon, please let us know how it performs.

Also, I see from the instructions (and the fact that it doesn't have hammer stop) that you use TCT core drills with hammer action. Is that usual? I'd assumed that coring through masonry was a roto only operation.

Reply to
mike

ok will do.

TCT you can use with hammer, but diamond you are not supposed to. Not sure I would fancy using it for a core drill anyway mind you, at 8kg its quite a lump to hold in one place for a prolonged period.

Reply to
John Rumm

ar the internals are:

Specs are identical to the Sparky, and the 2011 Wickes catalogue has them p riced at £336, so it is plausible that they are the same machine:

andrew

priced at £336, so it is plausible that they are the same machine:

Hope so - nice little discount then.

Reply to
mike

Ah, soddit. I've succumbed.

None on their website, but two showing in stock at my nearest store. There's only one now.

There's a label on the packaging implying week 29 2009 manufacture, so they've been kicking around a little while...

Now, what the hell do I need it for?

Reply to
Adrian

A previous hired Kango and borrowed Bosch demolition hammers are the only p ower tools SWMBO has ever expressed any interest in / used. She was quite keen that I bought this when I mentioned it was going cheap. I guess wanto n destruction has an appeal that transcends gender.

Reply to
mike

Yes, it might actually be a woman thing... I seem to recall having some difficulty getting my SDS back from my mother once she had discovered it could be used to demolish stuff!

Reply to
John Rumm